Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter flowers

Posted by Kixxor 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 04 at 14:08

Can someone give me ideas of what flowering plants to plant in South Louisiana that will bloom during the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter flowers

Camellia sasanquas start around Mid-October and I believe some bloom as late as December (there are early mid and late blooming varieties) The leaves are smaller and they tolerate more sun than the japonicas. They are followed by the larger leaved camellia japonicas. I have both. I have also had success with forsynthia (it is not recommended for the coastal south or lower than zone 8). Mine is five years old and is in moist shade. Every January the entire bush is covered with yellow flowers before the leaves come out. I believe Lorapetalem bloom intermittently all year, but I am not certain since I have had mine for a short time, but with the burgundy foliage you almost don't need the flowers.

o
RE: winter flowers

If you are interested in seasonal flowers, either in the ground or in big pots, I grow pansies, violas, winter bulbs,
snapdragons, petunias, sweet alyssum, sweet peas (to be planted now), poppies (seeds to be planted now) and irises (Louisiana irises that bloom in March.) There are azaleas that bloom in winter and early spring and for a tree, Japanese magnolia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here