Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great Fall Colors for the South?

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night steamy z9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 16:28

Hi fellow southerners,
Can you list some plants/trees that provide pretty fall colors for warmer climates?
I am always looking for new ideas for the fall garden. Seems like the northern climates get the best fall colors. A few I know that may perform well here are:
Pistachio
Swamp Red Maple
Oakleaf Hydrangea
Pyracantha and some other shrubs(for the red berries in the fall)
Ginko
Japanese Maple
Willow Oak (Quercus phellos)

Any others?
~SJN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great Fall Colors for the South?

Well, of course there's always that hideous 'chicken tree'! I believe it was originally planted partly because of its fall color, and in the years since we moved here it's amazing how much more color we get now. And it would be a beautiful tree if it weren't so ghastly invasive. I was going to tell you about Pistache when I clicked on this, but you already know it. I think there are other hydrangeas and some viburnums that color well, but I don't grow them. Some people get nice yellow foliage from Chionanthus, both the native and chinese, but I think they must live north of us. I get good color on my firebush--Hamelia patens--that's in the most sun, plus nice bright berries. (The one that's in more shade gets little color and no berries. Gotta move it!) I'm sure there's others I can't think of at the moment--good topic!

o

Scarlet oak - Q.coccinea. Vibrant red fall color will knock your socks off - it rivals any of the red or sugar maples. I know it'll perform in z8, probably in z9, as well.
Pawpaws for good, clear yellow.
Asian(kaki) persimmons - some have blaze orange or hot red fall color.
Hickories are reliable for warm golden yellow.
Sumacs all seem to develop good red color.

Fall color on a willow oak? What, brown?

o

Thanks for the good suggestions. I guess I left out fall color as in flowers lol. Like mums and alot of my tropicals are actually starting to bloom now with the night- time temperatures dropping. Also, night blooming jasmine and moonflowers are going crazy now.
Lucky,
Someone told me that a certain king of willow oak (Q.phellus) had yellow leaves in fall. I hadn't seen it here in z. 9 - maybe they are brown? lol..
~SJN

o

In last Sunday's Advertiser Bill Fontenot, native plant and bird guru, listed a whole bunch of shrubs and trees for fall color and I was going to post them here, but someone got too responsible and recycled it before I could save it. You could go to theadvertiser.com to get it all--I probably wouldn't have posted the whole bunch there were so many. He even lists them by color!

o

two native shrubs, aesculus parviflora (bottlebrush buckeye) and calycanthus floridus (sweetshrub), provide rich yellow fall colors in my area.
some crape myrtles exhibit bright shades of red, orange and some yellow though they are not all created equal regarding this feature.
native blueberries (vaccinium species) normally turn bright red in the fall. the spring flowers and fruit are an added bonus for wildlife.
an uncommon native plant, the alabama croton, has bright pumpkin orange(top) and metallic silver(bottom) leaves in autumn although only some of the older leaves will show this. it is semi-evergreen here.

o

Nancy, thanks for the heads up on Bill's article. Here it is for those interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: fall color in Louisiana

o

Thank you for helping out, Hanart. Wish I weren't so computer-ignorant! Maybe one of these days==!

o

The leaves on many willow oaks will turn yellow in the fall if conditions are right.

o

That is a very good link I will have to save that one for sure. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here