Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ixora Helicteres a.k.a. "screw tree"???

Posted by lovevintage south Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 19:25

Does anyone have experience with the Ixora Helicteres, a.k.a. "screw tree"? A friend gave me one and I've never seen this plant before. It looks like it would be a shrub and when the flowers are fully opened, they resemble a hydrangea or virburnum- sort of. Flowers are a gorgeous pale salmon color.
A google search found that it is from India and has medicinal value, but I found no care info.
I have no idea where to plant it.
Help greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ixora Helicteres a.k.a. "screw tree"???

I would ask your friend, maybe they know. Good luck with it.

o

It looks like maybe someone confused Ixora with Isora:

The Indian Screw Tree's scientific name is Helicteres isora.

The flower you show is an Ixora.

I hope this helps!
Carol

o

Thanks for correction. My friend bought a bunch of shrubs at plant sale of their church bazaar; she had no idea what anything was. She is not familiar with any plant's name and doesn't care to learn BECAUSE she has an amazing green thumb! I, on the other hand, look up everything about any plant before putting it in the ground, and it dies anyway! I confused the Ixora with the Isora. Thanks for clarification!

o

Oh LoveVintage, you will have a green thumb in no time, too, if you keep reading! That is what I did, and still do: read, read, read. Every plant I buy, I read how to best plant it and best care for it before I ever put it in the ground. I read other people's tips about taking cuttings, fertilizing, potting, protecting plants in winter, and on and on and on. Just keep reading and practicing before you know it, everything will be thriving!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here