Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raregingers

Tropical websites in Louisiana

raregingers
20 years ago

I have been constructing my links page, I plan to make a website listing other websites from people growing tropicals in Louisiana/gulf coast. Anyone that knows of any that should be included please post and I will include it. I haven't found too many, only a couple.

Scott Durand

Lafayette, La.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Gingers

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    20 years ago

I've ordered some plants from Almost Eden and been very pleased with the plants.
    MissSherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost Eden

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

Stokes Tropicals, New Iberia http://www.stokestropicals.com

Garrie Landry, Acadiana Aviaries http://www.zebrafinch.com/

Ecolage, Lake Charles http://ecolage.safeshopper.com

• raregingers
    Original Author
    20 years ago

All of these will be included for sure. I've known Garrie since I was a young child actually, he has been a friend of my parents since the late 70's, my parents were finch breeders as well. One of the most informed Cycad people in our state for sure.
    Scott Durand

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

Hey Scott - I'm originally from Franklin. Are you in Lafayette? We may have met at Garrie's, or some plant or bird - related place in Acadiana...My parents used to drive out to Delcambre to check out bonsai and tropical plants, but I can't recall the name of the family (maybe Henderson?)...Did you know the Lynches at Orchid Gardens on Breaux Bridge Hwy in Lafayette? I've kept in touch with Mary Courville over the years - very nice (and smart) people. You could find me there just about every weekend during the (late) 70's as well.
    You must also know Glenn Stokes... I hear Glenn is very busy with the mosquito business and the West Nile scare. I still have lots of plant geek friends around Acadiana - I'll be there during New Year's week. Any new or unique nurseries you know of that I should check out while down there? I'm mostly into "bonsai-ing" almost anything ... and unusual tropicals these days. I design with tons of gingers for clients in San Antonio and Austin - Zingiber 'midnight', Kaempferia, alpinias and hedychiums.

cajunbarry
    p.s.- if you haven't seen this bizarre website yet, you must...lots of bizarre variegates and celebrity customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: mutant palms

• raregingers
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I actually just drove in front of Orchid Gardens. I visit with Mrs. Lynch fairly often. I do know Glenn as I visit Stokes very often, Sondra (his daughter) who runs the nursery is very nice and it's one of my favorite places to go. I've spoken with Dave Gordon before at Mutant Palms he has an incredible collection of variegated plants, especially those palms, what an amazing website and the photography is outstanding. I actually just got an e-mail from Garrie a little while ago.
    Scott

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

Hey Scott,
    Good to hear that Mrs. Lynch is doing well. I'm getting an envi for some good boudin at this moment. I sent garrie an e-mail to reserve a few of his fabulous navel oranges for me that he's grown for decades. It's all that good bird (and V.p.b. pig) fertilizer that makes his oranges so sweet, right?
    I'll send you an e-mail to your website - you'll notice that Garrie's and my name are very, very similar. :-)
    Good making the connection.
    Joyeaux Noel
    cajunbarry

• michaelalreadytaken
    19 years ago

I just wanted to put in a good word for Ecolage since they're here in my hometown. They run a very nice operation. I was over there a couple of days ago buying some vines and was very impressed.

It really is a nice place, very well kept, with knowledgeable owners.

MichaelAT

• lisa455
    19 years ago

gingerwoodnursery.com is right outside of Baton Rouge. I ordered from them and was very pleased with the plant and service.