Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Time to decide which tomatoes to grow in 2011

natal
13 years ago

Repeats will be Sun Gold, Cherokee Purple, Viva Italia, Brandy Boy, and Sweet Tangerine.

Going to add Black Cherry and would like a red beefsteak. Got recommendations on Tomato Growing forum for Beefy Boy. Still undecided.

Anyone else have a list?

Comments (8)

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Took a look at the TGS catalog this morning and I'm thinking about adding Bradley and Church. Have you tried either one?

• showrfresh
    13 years ago

I grew a few plants last year. Three Romas and two others. Don't know what the other varieties were because I got the plants from my Grandma.

I'd like to try Sun Gold this year. natal, will you tell me about Sun Gold? Do you grow from seed or do you buy transplants?

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Showrfresh, I buy seeds. Haven't seen plants available in the trade, but it's about time.

Sun Gold is fruity and sweet ... hands down the best cherry tomato time I've ever tasted! Plants get very tall and produce for a long period.

• duck-gardener
    13 years ago

your pictures are great, perhaps i will get some sun gold seeds also , don't want o get too big because I need a garden that won"t require too much work

• showrfresh
    13 years ago

Natal, your garden is absolutely beautiful! What type of tomato cages do you use?

They sell Sun Gold plants over at a Tasteful Garden - http://www.tastefulgarden.com/. I've gotten fall gardening transplants from them before and was pleased.

I think I am going to grow Sun Gold, Opalka, and get another one of those tomato transplants from my Grandma and Grandpa. This year, I'll ask about the variety. :)

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use Texas Tomato Cages and 8' tall plastic-coated steel stakes. I only have 6 of the cages, so all the other plants get staked. That Sun Gold in the pic above is growing in an obelisk.

Here's the garden today. You can see the empty obelisk.

{{gwi:636311}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Tomato Cages

• deep_south_gardener
    13 years ago

Wow Natal your garden is lovely. I just started some tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds tonight with my grandson. He's 11 and loves to help. I don't have as many varieties this year. I might see what seeds the big box stores and wallyworld are offering this year. We started some beefstakes, yellow stuffers, orange mid size called Julilee, grape cherries, and Better boys. My favorite cherry is yellow pear so I'll look for some seeds. We were not very successful with our garden last year so we're hopeing for a better harvest this year. The garden looks better this year. My husband has been running the disc through it at least once a month to keep the weeds out and
    to keep the soil loose and workable. I'll keep checking in to see how ya'll are doing. Good luck with your gardens.

Brenda

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Showrfresh, that's not a bad price for plants. If you try Sun Gold let me know what you think later in the season.

Deepsouth, thanks. I started some flower seeds yesterday, still a little early here for tomatoes & peppers.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022