Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prepare plants for frost?

Posted by tms1 z9 LA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 04 at 13:11

I think it's going to be 37 degrees tonight.....do I need to cover my plants? I have a few tomato plants, a pepper plant, and 2 citrus trees(lemon & grapefruit). Or can I wait until it gets colder? It will probably get warmer again, so I don't want to bring them inside yet. They're in pots out on my balcony. Can I just cover them with garbage bags or something??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prepare plants for frost?

• Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 14, 04 at 11:48

It might not hurt to cover them at night.But I think it's going to get colder in the next few days.Good luck Jim

o

I would cover them.

o

You could do damage covering them with plastic if they get hit by the sun. It's better to cover with old sheets or something of the kind, or what I do is use 'frost blankets.' Then they won't overheat in the sun like plastic, and they actually keep in the warmth better than plastic does too. I'm really sold on the frost blankets--been using them for I guess four or five years, and they put up with all sorts of abuse, and let the rain in so I don't have to worry about that, and things do at least as well under them as they do in the greenhouse, where they don't always get watered when they should. There are several different weights of frost blankets--if I heard right a local garden center was touting some that protect down to twenty degrees. Most of mine are supposed to protect to 24. They are apparently cozy enough that they have attracted some stray cats that help keep the local rat population under control--kinda squashed some plants, but they'll be fine in the spring. Looks like we are going to get an unusual amount of cold the next few weeks. May I say, and please excuse me while I shout, I HATE COLD WEATHER!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here