Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

What kind of Tropical Trees do you grow?

What kind of tropical trees does everyone grow here?

I am planning on growing some in large containers this year, I would like to know what has worked for others and what varieties are good to grow here? TIA

~SJN

Comments (11)

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

I've been growing a Erythrina bidwillii for about ten years now. At first I gave it protection with leaves and a tarp for the winter but now it's holding its own. It blooms mid spring, summer and fall.

Helena

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Helena,
    Is that also known as coral tree with the red flowers? I can't recall if they have a scent or not but are supposed to attract hummingbirds. I bet it it pretty!

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Yes there are several of them, another is Erythrina crista-galli aka cry baby. They do attract hummingbirds but have no scent that I know of. After mine gets hit by the hard frost I just cut back the branches that were affected.

Helena

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1016858}}

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I'm not sure what qualifies as a tree and when it's a shrub, and I'm not sure when things are tropical or 'just' sub-tropical.
    I remember riding into Bangkok and being surprised to see a very large southern magnolia in full bloom, and then realizing it was a plumeria instead. I grow several plumeria varieties, tho' I somehow doubt they will ever attain a size that rivals our beautiful magnolias! I think Brugmansias are probably trees where they're native, and some of mine get pretty tree-like (and some have`been in the ground for fifteen years or so) but I think they may bloom better in pots. Tibouchina I think is more of a shrub, and while it frequently gets frosted it has so far come back to bloom nicely; starting to get too shaded though. There are some very nice acacia/cassias that are fairly hardy here but basically tropical. I have a bright golden yellow camellia (nitida, I think) which is very tender but very lovely. I'm wondering if it won't be reclassified at some point--the flowers hang down beneath the branches in a rather un-camellia like way, and the beautiful shiny foliage, dark red when new, is thinner than the usual leathery leaves of other camellias I know. Really like it a lot.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Helena,
    Yes that is the one I was thinking of. I remember seeing them in phx and s. calif (from childhood)It sounds like it has a long bloom season and definitly worth trying.

greenelbows,
    You have alot of tropicals. It must have been awesome to see a huge plummie in its natural habitat. I just started growing plumeria from cuttings last year ( I would surely consider them trees - although mine aren't yet lol). I have brugmansia as well. Some are in pots. They are supposed to be better in the ground. I have found the trick to flowering is more in the fertilizing. I wait till spring and start fertilizing with bloom booster (You can just get the generic walmart 'expert' brand). They will really start forming Y's then flowers with this treatment. They are fertilizer hogs and can take much more than the average plant.
    I have a lot of citrus in pots. I am hoping to grow some other more tropical fruit this year but just in the planning/ordering stage right now though.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I like tropicals especially--when I lived in colder climates I grew alpines, and it seems reasonable to me to grow things that love it here, even if they're a pain to protect for the three or four months they need it. I forgot bananas! Tree-like, even tho' they're really just fat grass (more or less!) I have a lemon that seems quite hardy--had it in a pot 'til this fall. Got too big for me to handle to take it in, but if it's hardy in a pot it should be better in the ground, assuming we don't go back to rain all the time. (I'd like more than we've been getting, but maybe not enough for the drainage problems we had when we first moved here. Never satisfied.) I think the main problem with my brugs is they're mostly in too much shade. We bought this place because it was so open and sunny--and planted trees.

• katladie
    18 years ago

Helena,

Do you ever have extra cry baby seeds. An older neighbor gave me some one time, but I was as interested in seed starting then and didn't have any luck with them. I would like to try again. I think it is a beautiful tree.

Sharon

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon, Yes I have seeds of Erythrina crista-galli. I don't think these seeds go bad. You have to nick and soak in warm water, I'll give you more details later. Email me your addy. Helena

• nanaboo
    18 years ago

Blooming now in Baton Rouge - Taiwan Cherry, beautiful. I have pictures @ joyceboone@cox.net

• phill_LA
    18 years ago

nanaboo,
    I can't see the pictures. How can I see them?
    Phillis

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Sorry I took out the pic, but it's back again.

I have a cherry tree blooming now too, last year a Rufous hummer went to it. That's why I got it but disappointing that no hummers showed up this year.

I also started seeds of Paulonia Empress tree, hopefully it'll bloom in a couple of years.

Helena

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County