Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree turns shrubs black

Posted by scojon Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 15:24

I have a tree in my yard that turns all the shrubery under it and the trees around it black. Anyone know what it is and what can be done aside from cutting it down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree turns shrubs black

Many times when a tree or shrub gets black it is becoz of a scale infestation. Can also be aphids I beleive. The scale or the aphids excrete a liquid called honeydew. It is sticky and sooty mold then grows on it. If you google scale or aphids + honeydew + sooty mold you will certainly get lots of hits to explain the connection and see if that seems to be the problem. Look closely at the tree and the shrubs for the infestation, look on the bark and on the undersides of the leaves. I've seen this on crape myrtles and on various types of magnolias. Even better would be to take some of the black parts to a master gardener or county agent. You can google your parish and master gardeners or county agent, also called extension service.
This can be treated in various ways. You should use the least toxic method. You can also hand remove scale and/or prune some of the infected branches, and you can physically remove ahphids with a strong hose spray and some use a soapy water spray. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here