Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman62

blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)

greenman62
9 years ago

hi all
i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA

i want to turn my backyard into a mini "food forest"
i have been growing fruit trees and other things
but, i dont get consistent fruit.
I want to be able to eat from my yard
at least most of the year.

So now, my focus is on berries.
i am wondering what the best use of space is, to get fruit ?
i dont know how long most berries produce ?
4 weeks, 6 weeks ?
do blackberries overlap with blueberries ?

i was thinking of adding 2 muscadine grape vines,
but read they can grow 60-100 ft ???
i dont have that much room. and i want to make the best use
of the room i have.
do they keep producing, or, is it just a couple of weeks ?

what about strawberries ?
space ? length of season ?

i just bought these..
i have 2 small 1 gal blueberry bushes (LOWES - Natches)
and 2 small 1 gal blackberry (sunshine and ?)

any help to extend my fruiting seasons
is appreciated...
Brad

Comments (4)

• garybeaumont_gw
    9 years ago

Strawberries would be the first to produce. Most literature suggest planting annually in the fall in humid 9b due to difficulty keeping plants alive in the summer. Chandler and sweet charlie are good cultivars. They should be planted in the fall. I planted about 75 last year, half in raised beds and half in containers. The ones in containers survived better than the ones in ground.

Southern highbush (of which sunshine blue is one variety) produces in late April, May. They need good draining soil (both surface and internal). Most plant them on raised beds to improve drainage. Blueberries must have acidic soils, best when pH is between 5.5 to 4.5. Rabbiteye varieties produce later. With Southern Highbush and Rabbiteye, it is best to have 2 or 3 different varieties of each for pollination.

Blackberries will come off around the same time as Rabbiteye blueberries. Natches is suppose to be a good variety of thornless blackberries. Thorn type (such as Kiowa) will have less bird problems. The thorns keep birds from getting to the berries.

Muscadine grape vines are usually spaced about 10 to 12 feet apart on a trellis. Most produce in July and August. You will have to prune about 70 to 90 percent each year to get good yields and grape size. Make sure and get self fertile varieties if you are only going to plant a couple.

• greenman62
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks
    a lot of good info
    the strawberries seem like a lot of work and space
    and i would have to dig up grass/lawn, i dont mind doing it, but it sounds like i can get more berries from a blackberry in the space used. i can trellis them.

i actually bought 2 Natches (they were just on sale)
    I like what i read about Kiowa too. long fruiting season and low chill hours which is what i need and want.

i have lots of small plants like autumn olive
    (or maybe its a goumi?) they are growing slow though
    also, an everbearing mulberry, a sunshine blueberry,
    and i have a large red mulberry which produces a lot, but only for a couple of weeks in early spring.

sunshine blueberry supposedly ripens late june with a long season, so i may get a couple more varieties of Southern Highbush, which is what i think this is.
    i am getting a truck of soil, so i can put them in a raised bed, kinda needed in my yard. i have some home-made compost too.

I think i will use the rest of the space for rock melon and watermelon now, and worry about grapes later.

thanks for the info
    Brad

• garybeaumont_gw
    9 years ago

Seems like sunshine blue started ripening in late May, early June. It is one of the later ripening southern highbushes. It also tolerates higher pH than other blueberries. I would put in a bale or two of peat moss into the raised bed to lower the pH. Fertilize with Ammonium Sulfate (21-0-0) or other fertilizer made for acid loving plants. Ammonium sulfate has nitrogen in a form that the plants can absorb. You might want to get the soil tested for pH.

Most of my southern highbushes are starting to bloom due to the early winter, mild weather we had in December. Hopefully they will continue to bloom again in Feb. and survive any frost we might have. Of the 9 or 10 varieties I planted last year, Emerald has grown the best. Sunshine blue is more compact but also has done very well.

I would also suggest getting the book Growing Fruits and Vegetables in the south by William Adams. It was copy written in 1992 so it is a little out of date but it is written for our area. It cost about $10-$15 used.

• orphington
    8 years ago

MS coast, right on the water and I grow Kiowa, about 50 foot of them from 3 plants. The best berry of all! Huge yield of giant berries - I began picking a week ago and get 6 to 7 pounds a pick, this has only been picked twice and is almost ready for the third. A gallon zip lock bag is 4 pounds.

I have a 20 foot row of thornless blackberries which are covered with berries, but still just turning red. No idea what they are because I dug them from an over grown yard Jan 1014 and planted them here. I have a video of them is anyone is interested. Also I have 2 big 'Prime Jan' bushes and am very disappointed in them and one is being removed for a raspberry from Walmart's half price plant clearance sale - I bought $200 of half price trees and fruit shrubs.

Blackberries are very easy to keep, and very productive. Can or freeze them for later. Get Kiowa, the bad thorns reduce rodent and bird eating, and they are great.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert