Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Cream Pea

Posted by west_texas_peg z7b TX (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 16:25

Some years ago my father-in-law grew what he called Cream Peas. They were light green and smaller than black-eyed peas.

They were our favorite but have not had them since my father-in-law became ill and passed. I've begun to garden more and would love to add these to my list for 2008 if someone has this pea and we can make a swap. My son would be very happy, he really likes this pea.

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Cream Pea

Victory seeds has a number of possibilities and good descriptions.
I just traded for zipper creams. I know they are an old heirloom in the south, but I don't know much more than that.
Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victory Seeds

o

From the descriptions I think it might be this seed listed at Victory Seeds:
Texas Cream 8
Bush-type pea with oblong, kidney shaped peas when dried. Nice garden pea that produces a nice crop.

I was sent some Zipper Pea seeds and it definitely is not the one my fil grew.

Thanks for the response.
Peggy

o

hi. the zipper pea was a favorite of my grandmothers. heirloomacresseeds.com offers these in there catalog.

o

I have just learned of cream peas and have planted some. but we don't know how to cook them.

o

I too recently received a bag of these peas. Any suggestions on how to cook them?

o

I grew up eating these peas. I cook (fresh frozen & thawed) them in a medium pot with enough water to cover plus 1/2". Add salt, pepper and a small bit of salt pork or bacon. Cook on low to medium low heat until the water is just below the top of the peas. The flavor is delicate so you don't want to over season or over cook these little guys. Hope you enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here