Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole or Bush??

Posted by happyday 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 1:52

While sorting seeds today I found a number of packs of beans I recently bought without knowing whether they are pole or bush or runner. The packs dont say and iirc the catalog didnt specify. If anybody can identify the following varieties I'd really appreciate it.

Soldier
Dwf Horticultural Taylor (suspect this one is a bush)
Marrow Fat
Purple Queen
Jacob's Cattle
Black Valentine
Blue Goose
Rattlesnake (suspect this one is a pole)
Jackson Wonder Lima
Black Turtle
Florida Butter

Mon Petite Cheri
True Blue
Masai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole or Bush??

• Posted by mwagt z5 Nebraska (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 15:21

"HappyDay"

SSE's catalog has Jacob's Gold & Jacob's Cattle Gasless both listed as bush varieties. I'm guessing Jacob's Cattle is as well.
I received a couple varieties in trade this year that I see on your list. My trading partner wrote on the packets:

Purple Queen: Bush Bean, Turns green when cooked. 52 days. Source - Heirloom Acres Seeds.

Masai: Bush Green Bean, 47 days. Source - Pinetree Garden Seeds

Jeff

o

I'm certain of all but two:

Soldier - bush
Dwarf Horticultural Taylor - bush
Marrow Fat - bush
Purple Queen - bush
Jacob's Cattle - bush
Black Valentine - bush
Blue Goose - listed as bush lima by Heirloom Acres
Rattlesnake - pole
Jackson Wonder Lima - bush
Black Turtle - bush (with short runners)
Florida Butter - I suspect this is same as / similar to "Florida Speckled Lima", which is pole
Mon Petite Cheri - bush
True Blue - bush
Masai - bush

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 22, 07 at 11:57

Hi,
There is a Blue Goose bean that is not a lima. It is on Southern Seed Legacy's list, #141. There is no growing info, but if the photo matches your bean, try contacting them.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Seed Legacy List

o

Thanks guys

Found a great resource(pops) while researching this yesterday. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of cultivar names listed alphabetically. Descriptions match yours on all of them except one, the Blue Goose. The Blue Goose is a bit of a mystery, there must be several cultivars with that name.

Blue Goose might be a pole cowpea, a climbing lima or a climbing wax. At least I know to expect a vine. The seeds are not like the pic on SSL. They are kidney shaped, about 1/2" long, and a uniform dull greyish or brownish green, sort of a light olive green. The hilium is white with a faint bit of amber around it, and two amber dots, the micropyle and a little double bulb opposite the micropyle.

It looks more like a wax bean to me than a lima or cowpea. Guess I'll know more after I plant them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Searching the Plant Files

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here