Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bean identification help please

Posted by aiedail none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 2:56

I found these dried up beans hanging over our fence wall and when i opened the pod these were the seeds inside. they were growing from an abandoned lot. Our fence wall is probably 6 to 7 ft high. If i plant these beans will they be safe to eat? Noob question probably but are all beans safe to eat? I live in the Philippines where it gets a bit cold up to about 10 degrees celsius during this time of the year. idk if that helps in identification.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bean identification help please

Those appear to be lima beans which are edible. They require quite a bit of room to grow properly, I plant mine at 2 to 3 feet apart in the row with 2 seeds per hill.

o

Oh cool, thanks fusion_power. Funny, i thought lima beans only came in green or white, haha. Will be planting these beans soon though probably in a container if possible. Thanks for the help!

o

Looks like a nice lima. I wouldn't recommend planting them in a container, though if you have good ground (in full sun) available. Pole limas have a very large root system, they would be stunted in pots.

" I live in the Philippines where it gets a bit cold up to about 10 degrees celsius during this time of the year."

Ah, the tropics. It was -29*C here a few days ago, and it will be at least March before we get up to 10*C. I've been to the Philippines many times, I'll take your "cold" days anytime. ;-) The hot days, not so much.

Mabuhay!

o

Thanks Zeedman. im afraid im going to have to stick to the container as i have no where else to plant them. im just going to have go for a bigger container i guess and hope i get a few beans.

i heard you guys were having a cold front or something. anything under 10*C is way way too cold for my blood so i guess i'll take our "cold" days any time too haha. the hot days aren't so bad you kind of get used to them after being here awhile. it helps if you were born and raised here haha. Mabuhay to you too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here