Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PE-PH southern peas and Big Boy southern peas

Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 5:24

The Pink Eyes have been my most favorite bean, pea, lima, etc., all my life, but I'm thinking I want to try Big Boy Southern peas this year, mostly to enjoy a larger pea and increased production.

If the taste is too different, I'm not likely to be happy if I don't grow the Pink Eyes, too.

If you've grown both varieties, is there a taste difference that's obvious to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PE-PH southern peas and Big Boy southern peas

Big Boy is in the same category as pinkeyes. Bigger pea than the pinkeye/purple hull and a little longer season. Most folks who like pinkeyes ( there are several cultivars with slightly different texture and flavor) will like Big Boys. Folks whose taste run to the stronger flavored brown crowder types usually don't. Pinkeye yields are comparable to Big Boys, both kick out a lot of peas.
Big Boy Big Boy 3
Quick Pick (one of the Pink Eye/Purple Hull cultivars Quick Pick

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 9:25

Farmerdilla

Thanks. It looks like the difference between them is the pea-size and the pod-color. Boy, even shelled, they make my mouth water.

I'm glad you keep photographic records of your production!

o

While I like the pink eyes, I also enjoy other peas such as White Whipporwill. There is a range of flavor from the lady peas to the various cream peas to the pink eyes then the black eyes and then the dark brown crowders. My personal flavor preference is in the range of the cream peas.

DarJones

o

Anney, I grew Big Boy last summer for the first time. They are good tasting and produce really good. They freeze good and I canned some as well, they turned out good too.
I grew Red Ripper for the first time also, may be my new favorite. I'm not giving up the Black Crowders, I really like them 'cause the taste is great and they are prolific.

o

Bamagrit, glad to hear you liked Red Ripper, as I was considering ordering these from SESE. That pretty much seals the deal.

o

sfmathews, you're gonna love'em! Good luck with'em! I planted for seed last year so only had one mess, I'll be plantin' much more come Spring. I got my seed from SESE also.

o

bamagrit, I think I read somewhere that these things get like 15' long. Did yours get that big? If so, I will have to find someplace to put them!

o

sfm, I've heard the same thing but the Red Rippers I planted weren't too bad, runners out maybe four to five feet. I planted four other varieties last year, Black Crowder and Calico Crowder 'traveled' the most and the Big Boys and Zipper Cream were the best behaved of the five.

o

Thanks for the info, bamagrit, very helpful!

o

My favorites are calico crowders. Not only are they good producers, they're beautiful! :D I ordered mine from SESE last year, but this year they were sold out :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here