Emerite did this doing very dry and hot weather
I have not seen this in any other bean
Charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: emerite pole bean

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 9:56

Charlie, so this is what can happen when beans are at the shelly stage and then dry too quickly in a heat wave? Dick

o

I have Fortex beans that look very similar except for the color. I don't remember the weather conditions at the time....lots of other life happenings then that weren't as fun as gardening but needed to be attended to. But Emerite is definitely not the only variety that can look this way.

I plan to test germination on some and see if I need to get replacement seed. I go back and forth on thinking there is no way they will grow to thinking they might do okay. Guess I better test them soon.

o

I only had less than 10 persent that did this and the ones I planted immediatly after picking did not germinate
Last year was the only time I have seen this
In my garden Emerite has far past Fortex in production and we find it just as tasty
Charlie

o

yes, this is typical of a hot environment. I get a lot of similar beans every year. It is prevalent in the long slim beans like fortex, emerite, etc.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here