Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 week old bean plants starting to curl and wither

Posted by mrd05d 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 10:14

I started these bean plants about a week ago. They sprouted quickly and looked pretty good. Then after about a week I noticed they started to point their leaves down towards the dirt instead of at 90 degrees to catch light.

I keep it between 75 and 80 in the house ( I am starting indoors as it has been raining cloudy and light would have been an issue). I have them under two 4' fluorescent for about 14-16 hours a day. They are bout 2-4 inches below the light as of current.

I am watering 2-3 times a day with spray bottle making sure to be careful not to spray the leaves. I'm not sure why they are curling and drooping but was wondering if anyone could tell through a picture or with my description of what I am doing wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 week old bean plants starting to curl and wither

The potting medium looks dry to me. I would pour the water to it either from the top, or from the botttom, and see if that helps. It may be time to add a little fertilizer too.

o
RE: 1 week old bean plants starting to curl and wither

I transplanted the beans into a much larger container (final container they will be in 24" x 8"). I watered and literally overnight they perked back to normal. Is it possible that the root systems got so dense and pushed the soil out to where there was not enough soil to hold the amount of water needed for the plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here