Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlsruhe_kid

timing - and best beans

KARLSRUHE-KID
11 years ago

I have recently managed to get an allotment in the Karksruhe area. All of the gardening books I have are in English - based on UK planting/harvesting etc.

It is a lot further south than the Midlands in England - probably a silly question - do I plant etc a bit earlier?

Also - I want to concentrate on runner beans, french beans and peas. Which are the best to grow?

Thanks in anticipation

Comments (5)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi Karlsruhe-kid. I would imagine that Karlsruhe would have a slightly later spring than the English Midlands, a warmer Summer, and a colder winter. Despite being further South it is not a maritime climate and doesn't have the tempering effect of the sea. I have seen some fabulous allotments in Germany and there must be plenty of gardening books available there which would suit the climate. If anything I think you'd need to make a later start in spring than in the UK but expect more rapid growth as the temperature increases faster than here. The only calender I could find quickly is for Munich, so your area would be a bit earlier, I imagine.

As to varieties to grow, that depends on what is available and what you want to eat. Culturally all varieties will be similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden calender for Munich

• KARLSRUHE-KID
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks for this quick and useful response. It is really appreciated and I will take the comments about timings on board.

The books available tend to be written in German (I am still learning) but I will check some out.

The "best tasting varieties to grow" items that appear on various websites for England do not seem to be available here so I will order them from the UK or buy them on my next visit.

One thing that really does surprise me is that hardly anyone seems to eat or grow parsnips and swede. The other gardeners look at me a bit strange when I say I hope to grow them!

Finally - you are right about the amazing allotments - they tend to be a way of life for many people in this area - and are used as an extension to their home life (as opposed to just for growing fruit and veg. Karlsruhe Council offices have a brilliant free booket (full colour) on allotments and all the different uses they are put to here in this region.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I know what you mean about the parsnips and swedes. Not much known in France either afaik. On the other hand I first ate kohlrabi, celeriac and the large white winter radishes in Germany, long before they were much known or grown in the UK. There should be plenty of French beans available but for runners you will find a better selection in the UK.

Viel Spass mit deinem Schrebergarten!

• KARLSRUHE-KID
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I am going to like this site - so many useful and considerate comments. I hope to grow runners thoughout the Summer and Autumn season. I've herad Lady Di and White Lady would be good - any other suggestions?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I haven't tried those two cultivars. I grow Painted Lady. The beans are tasty, although not the most aesthetically perfect. Flowers are a very pretty red and white. I save seed every year and it has stayed pretty much true despite quite a few other varieties being grown nearby.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm