TOHONO O'ODHAM [PAPAGO]
PIGGOTT PEA
I planted this one last year from a dif.source,and it did not germinate
BIG RED RIPPER[MANDY]
I have 3 strains of RR and want to compare
Butter Beans
BLACK KNIGHT
SPECKELED MIX
this is an unknown brown speckled small pole lima that that SESE received in error as Jackson Wonder
I do not know of a brown pole lima
Probably a Jackson Wonder cross
Has anyone grown any of these and what was the outcome
Charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New this year

Piggott peas should be relatively large, grayish with speckles. They tend to grow in a compact clump with relatively short vines. The peas ripen within a short interval and then are gone. In other words, they are kind of like a determinate tomato, something you harvest and preserve and then they are gone. I recommend growing them in relatively poor soil, they do not do well if planted into richer soil. Cowpeas are very good at producing their own nitrogen, but definitely benefit from innoculation with the correct bacteria.

o

There seems to be a contoversy as to what is the true Pigott Pea and it's true spelling
The PIGGOTT PEA from SESE is brown
The one from S.C.Crop Imp. is reddish brown and spelled PIGGOTT PEA
The PIGOTT FAMILY from SANDHILL is also reddish brown
The discription in the year book over the years state that PIGOTT FAMILY HEIRLOOM is grey speckled tan
All state they originated in Washington Parish LA.
I guess they should e listed as sold
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 10:25

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 11:17

Charlie, I have grown several of the cowpeas. We all have different taste buds and those that I grew did not do well for me. Now the Jackson Wonder butter bean I grow a few of those each year. It is one of my favorite bush butter beans. The pink eye purple hull BVR cowpea can be used as a pole variety. I usually plant a few of those during the summer months.

Luther

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here