Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Super Snappy vs. Super Sugar Snap Pea

mrs.b_in_wy
14 years ago

Hello all,

I tend my cousin's garden from about mid-June through late August or early September each year. Last year, her snap peas were the shining stars of the whole garden. When I asked the variety, she initially thought it was "Super Snappy" but later thought it was just "Super Snap." I'd like to try it in my own garden this year, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out which pea it really was.

Burpee's Super Snappy copy says:

"65 days. The largest sugar-podded pea. The pods are as tasty as the peas inside. Sweet and crisp with 8-10 peas per pod. Vigorous vines need no support, grow 28-32". Tolerant to powdery mildew. Burpee Exclusive."

Burpee's Super Sugar Snap copy says:

"64 days. ... Thick, full sized snap peas are sweetest. This incredible pea is even better than the famous Sugar Snap. It's sweeter, earlier, more productive, and has excellent disease resistance. ... Super Sugar Snap is the best snap pea ever. Like the original, these plants get 5-6' tall and need a trellis or fence. ..."

(BTW Â I quoted BurpeeÂs copy for both since Burpee claims Super Snappy is exclusive.)

The clues:

The plants were 3-4' tall.

The pods were enormous! Unfortunately, I didn't think to measure any, but this might help. I missed checking on things for a couple weeks. When I got back and looked at the peas, I had to do a couple doubletakes. It looked like the pea plants were covered with fava bean pods. In reality, they weren't as long or as thick as fava bean pods (Windsor, anyway) but still probably double the size my Sugar Ann and Sugar Lace were.

The pods also had a curve to them as opposed to the straight, stubby ones I had.

The flavor didnÂt seem quite as sweet as Sugar Ann & Sugar Lace. I didnÂt plant regular Super Snap last year so couldnÂt make a closer comparison there.

Production far exceeded my plantings. Peas rarely make it out of either garden, but I gave shopping bags of peas to my veggie-loving friend last year.

Lastly, the peas produced throughout the summer and set a bumper fall crop, too. (Our summer was cooler than usual, though.) They didn't seem bothered by powdery mildew, which, I think, is what always finishes mine.

SooooÂ

What do people think? Should I go by height? Pod size? Flavor? Other? And sorry about the long post. I was trying to think of everything that might help with identification :)

Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery