Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Has anyone utilized the 'Southern Seed Legacy'...

anney
14 years ago

sponsored by the University of Georgia? It appears to be primarily beans that are not offered on a commercial basis. From their site:

=====

The Southern Seed Legacy (SSL) maintains a collection of over 460 named varieties of southern heirloom seeds. These seeds are donated entirely by members and friends of the SSL. We maintain them in a climate controlled facility at the University of Georgia. Although we are not an ex situ seed "bank" our collection functions as a way station between southern gardeners and farmers. We receive materials and try to distribute them as soon as possible on to other interested members who will grow them out. Any registered member of the SSL (link to membership) can receive free seed under our Pass Along Southern Seeds (PASS). Our objective is to keep southern agrobiodiversity alive, not in gene banks, but in the fields and gardens of people.

Our network is different than many seed saver groups in that we are equally interested in the cultural histories, stories, and usages of southern plants, including preparation and recipes. We collect as many stories as possible and link them to the seed.

Since all SSL seed is donated free by members and friends, we are opposed to the commercialization of seeds obtained from our collection. If seeds are obtained under the PASS program, we ask that you not pass them along to seed companies or organizations that will grow out the seed, repackage them, and then market for profit.

=====

They don't appear to have kept their seed list up to date, but maybe they're still functional. There are some interesting bean and other produce names.

And their annual seed swap sure looks like Georgia farmers and gardeners are having a good time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Seed Legacy

Comments (5)

• zebraman
    14 years ago

Hey Annie; a few years ago I sent in $50.00 to join their pass program. I requested maybe 15 items fromtheir list, one of them being "Sea Island Cotton". After months of emails and them saying "the seeds were in the mail" I finally got one of the Attourneys from the studio where I work to call the University to complain. They did finaly send the seeds (some of them) as they said most were either too rare to send out or that they no longer had any. But I noticed that these items were still on their pass list as available for several years.
    I eventually got the Sea Island Cotton and Okra and Beans from another location. I wouldn't waste my time or money on this place.Also the Book that comes w/the 50.00 donation was a book about growing Sweet Potatoes on the island of Mindinao in the Phillipines. It read like a book that was written by a person on methamphetemines.

• anney
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It read like a book that was written by a person on methamphetemines.

LOL!

But thanks for the heads-up -- too bad though. It isn't a bad idea, though $50 is a rather steep registration fee.

• catym1013_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I am a college of Charleston student doing a research project on heirloom vegetables native to the region. I want to look at Southern Seed Legacy's list, but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has it and can send it to me that'd be fantastic, or just point me in the right direction!
    Thanks

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Southern Seed Legacy has been moved to the University Of North Texas, Denton. The new website appears to be having problems at the moment. http://pacs.unt.edu/sites/default/files/Website_Notice_of_SSL_Move.pdf

• rodger
    12 years ago

I have had a lot of dealings with SSL. There is also a very old post somewhere here on gardenweb about SSL. SSL was founded by Dr. Bill Rhoads an Avid heirloom seedsman. It has always been a one man show with limited resources. What started out as a research projesct with a grant to collect seeds and memories of southern appalachia turned into Southern Legacy Seeds. The best asset for me was the annual Seed swap. Some of the best Appalachian seedsman showed to trade stories and seeds. I was named Seed saver of the year several years ago thru SSL and will always cherish that honor. Dr. Rhoads passed away rather quickly after being diagnosed with cancer March of 2010. Jim Veteto a former student and administrator of SSL completed his Doctorial degree in Anthropology and had hope to stay in the SouthEast but was offered a Job in Texas. Since he helped run SSL in the past it was a perfect match for him to carry on SSl after Dr. Rhoads. So SSL is alive and well but in Tex. There will no longer be a Ga. Seed swap but Jim states the seed swap will contine. I believe they have various levels for donations to support this nonprofit seed bank. And for the donation you have access to the many seeds that are maintained. I know they list everything that has been donated many of the items from myself , but not all are always in sufficent supply to give out. The only catch for access to the seed bank is that you grow out the seed keep 1/3 for yourself return 1/3 to the seed bank and PASS along to others the other 1/3. Please remember that when you request seed that it needs to be grown to maintain purity so that the next person also receives the same seed not some crossed mess. If you just want some unuasual vegetable there are plenty of commercial resources out there. If your intersted in Heirloom Varieties that are non commercial then Seed savers Exchange is a great organization an resource. Or give me your wants I have hundreds of varieties of beans and other rare heirlooms that I will share for the cost set forth by Seed Savers Exchange. If you want to help a grass roots movement that banks southern Appalachian seeds then I would recommend Southern Legacy Seeds.Rodger

Sponsored