Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shuffles_gw

Jeminez

shuffles_gw
9 years ago

I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill. As I understand from this thread, Jeminez is tall and very productive, with a full, at times maybe too full flavor. They are difficult shelling as a shelly bean. They tend to cross with other beans. I see that they somewhat easily get pollen from other varieties. My question is, do they tend to donate pollen to other varieties? From what I understand, this might not be likely for most varieties. Or is it? I hope to plant soon and am undecided about this one. I already had nine varieties of pole beans that I plan to plant in 112 feet of row. The varieties I intend to plant are Algarve, Smeraldo, Helda, Dade, Violet Podded Stringless, Snow Ball, Tennessee Cut Short, Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short, and Speckled Cranberry - and I plan to save seed from all of them. I have dropped Rattlesnake, as they didn't do very well for me last year.

Comments (9)

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

All beans cross and all of the varieties you list are compatible. That means all of the varieties you are growing will show a few crosses given your statement of growing 9 varieties in a 112 foot row.

With that said, I have not seen any more or less crossing from Jeminez than from any other bean I've grown. Typically about 1 seed in 100 will be from a cross. If you want to avoid crosses, either put tulle bags on the flowers before they open or else separate the plants by enough distance to reduce crosses to a minimum.

One method I use is to plant 3 varieties of beans in a row. One of them is a runner bean, one is a lima bean, and one is a snap pole bean. I plant 3 or 4 rows of beans across my garden and ensure that each row is about 80 feet apart. Because the beans in a given row are from 3 different species, the likelihood of a cross in the row is effectively zero. Because the rows are separated by 80 feet, the potential for compatible crosses is reduced to less than 1 in 1000 which is a reasonable target IMO.

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fusion power thanks,

As my garden is only about 25' by 50', I can't separate by distance. I guess I'll have to use the bagging method. I guess I'll cut up some row cover and staple into bags. Anyone have a suggestion as to size?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Shuffles, I use a lot of these, wedding favor bags. These ones measures about 3 1/4 " wide by 3" long by the time I've turned them inside out and turned the edge in like in the one on the right. I'd really like them a little bigger tho, if you don't keep an eye on them, get them off when the beans start to grow they can be a bug... to get off, the beans curl around, fill the bag and can get pretty tight, ask me how I know this LOL.
    I have also stapled pieces of remay around flowers, but these are a one time deal whereas the little bags are reusable.
    I bag a few flowers on all the varieties of beans I grow just for insurance in case they've crossed but so far this hasn't been a problem for me.
    I turn and tack the cuff on these in so I can snug them right up close to the stems, inside out so the cut edges and loose threads if any don't snag the flowers. These do the job but I really would prefer them to be an inch bigger all way round.
    If I wasn't so lazy I'd make my own baggies to the size I'd prefer, a good winter project :).
    Annette

• tormato
    9 years ago

I've saved more Jeminez than perhaps all of the other beans combined in my garden. Over about a decade, the crossing is at about 1 in every 250 seeds, for me. Since any very rare off-types are most welcome, I don't bother with bagging or isolation. It is very easy to rogue out off-types, too.

• tormato
    9 years ago

Also, I've never experienced a full, or too full flavor. To me a typical romano bean flavor, medium strength, sweet and rich, but not harsh (like some round green beans). Very tall vines, huge production, virtually impossible to shell as shellies, yes.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I grew Jimenez about five years ago. I wasn't fond of it. But then, there are a number of beans I don't care for and others adore. You'll have to decide for yourself. I observed no crossing with this bean. I do most of what Fusion mentions above and I try to give beans from the same species at least 20' distance with something tall in between them.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments. I guess I will give Jeminez a try. I can't remember a fresh snap bean that I didn't like.

• hemnancy
    9 years ago

Jeminez used to be my favorite bean, because of being very large and stringless, but one year I grew Helda and another more fibrous bean and noticed Jeminez growing more fibrous the next year, so I had to seek some new seed to get rid of the trait. I switched to beans that don't cross much and are not as long to make beans.

• shuffles_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just had a meal of Jimenez. They were tasty and not as sweet as Helda - which I prefer. My wife said they cooked quicker. I plan to grow more next year - at the opposite end of my garden from the rest of the beans.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022