Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This may sound stupid...but

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 15:46

I have read that beans and potatoes were good companion plants. So i was wondering if pole beans could be planted around a potatoe hills?
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This may sound stupid...but

Interesting Tammy. Sounds like a good idea if the beans aren't planted too dense to shade the potatoe foilage. Hope others chime in.

o

Never tried it... but pole beans would shade the potatoes, and when the potatoes are dug, it would disturb the roots of the beans. Probably not a good match. Peas might be a better idea, since they are both planted in cool weather, and the peas would likely be done when the potatoes are dug.

o

Tammy, I think your idea has a lot of merit. Plant the bean or peas arount the potatoes far enough away for the potatoe plant to grow and not crowd them. They would be picked way before the potatoes anyway. Maybe you can't get a late crop but sounds like a good space saver. Succession planting all at once. LOL

o

My house backs up to a hilly wooded area to the NE, with the house facing SW. The garden is in the back. I was considering planting a long row of pole beans going about E to w, facing the S, with the potatoes planted at the bases of the pole beans, and I considering planting bush beans at the bases of the corn. One article I read yesterday stated there was a study done and it showed only slight reduction in harvest amount of potatoes . But it didnt say if one was planted above the area or between.other articles seem to suggest it will work, but still no specifics as to whether on top or planted in between.
Tammy

o

I just read the article below. So I guess the idea aint too far off the wall. This says to plant the potatoes right in front of the beans tho.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion planting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here