Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2014 Beans Planted

Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 16:10

Hi Everyone,

Well I started the year out on the 1st by planting 2 short rows of Jade 2 green beans. This is the first time I have planted any beans this early. Today the temperature is in the low eighties. Altho tonight we are suppose to have a cool spell come thru.

Darrel, I got your seed in the mail today. Thanks for the Bonus seeds. You are an OK guy.

Hope everyone has a good 2014 year,
Luther

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 Beans Planted

Hi Luther, just a tad early to plant beans here, like 4 months :). I think I'm just a little bit jealous. Right now it's drizzling rain but not overly cold, if it stays like this the rest of the winter I wouldn't mind, at least you don't have to shovel it. Wishing you and yours the best in 2014.

Annette

o

Good for you. I hope they grow well for you. Bean planting is a far off dream for me.

I dug through several inches of snow to harvest a few remaining Brussels sprouts this afternoon. Tonight is predicted to be the coldest in 3 years with even colder temps to come. I figured if the sprouts stayed out any longer, they wouldn't be worth harvesting. It's time for winter sports and winter bird sightings here, not gardening. The snowy owls we have seen recently make the wait for gardening seem more than okay.

I got the bean seeds out inside today, though, and bagged some for trades and inventoried others. Hope to grow some new varieties this season....in May :)

o

Luther, I hope your beans do well. Major cold front coming through here, coldest air in almost 20 years due to hit next week... it will be around -12*F Friday morning, and that is forecast to be our expected high Monday. Don't know how far South it will go.

o

we will hit 6 degrees Monday. We have been colder a few times in my life. I am told that we had -20F temps back in the 1950's.

o

We are supposed to hit 13F Monday here in 7b, SC. Very rare, the coldest that I remember here was 4F in the early 80's.

But like Fusion said, I'm sure we had colder in the 50's and 60's. I remember the ground being frozen solid when I was a kid. I was born in 54.

I'm an electrician and I have had a very busy day from last nights lows of 20-22 F and high winds. Frozen pipes from failed heat trace, frozen pumps, heaters failing to keep up!

I dread Monday!

o

We've been sitting in the mid 40's F the last few days dipping at night to 39-42 F but..... they say we're in for some colder weather mid month.
Annette

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 14:26

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone for the information on the weather condition in your area. We have had some mild winters for several years and this winter it is making up for all those mild winters.

Sounds like this next week the entire nation will get a Arctic Blast all the way to somewhere in Florida. I feel for you folks that have to work in those conditions. The weather folks are saying a low of 37 next Tuesday morning in my location. I'm sure the prediction will change between now and next week.

Stay warm,
Luther

o

Luther my Tuesday forecast is a little cooler than yours, 21 degrees in the southeast corner of Texas. I'm not going to complain too much because the extreme cold across the major portion of our nation is facing makes the 21 seem minor.. I did like Annette and planted four rare bean seed in two large containers in my greenhouse to try to produce some early seed for my summer crop. We keep the temperature above 45 and so far they are growing pretty good and the tallest one is about three feet tall. I hope that artic blast does not reach your area.
Harry

o

No bean planting here in South MS.
Low predicted Monday morn 20
Tues morn 13
Wed morn 20
Winds 20 mph
After Wed things get back to normal,lows in the mid 40s
Luther be prepared its heading your way
Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 10:53

o

Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 15:40

Hello Everyone,

They are already changing their predictions daily. Now they are saying maybe a low of 29. With all their Electronic equipment they have no idea. So I'm gonna get out the frost cloth, blankets, heat lamps and all the gear I will need for a freeze. Picked all my beans today. We are having green beans and lima beans for dinner tomorrow. I can only cover so much and hope the power stays on for the heat lamps. if we do get a freeze I hope it will kill those white flies.

Good luck to you folks in those extreme cold areas,
Luther

o

Going to be -30F here Sunday night and -25F Monday night. I think I'll hold off planting beans for awhile. One plus of living up here is that I never get bean weevils!

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:29

dustdevil, I wouldn't know how to live in your area. A -30F will kill all the bugs for sure. Our temperature today is 78 degrees. Guess we will have to turn on the heat for the first time tomorrow.

Here is a picture of those beans that started this thread.

photo 20140105_7_zps98bf9ebf.jpg

Now I have to protect them.
Luther

o

Luther, you're such a tease :).

Annette

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 12:34

Hello Everyone,

Well I have worked all morning wrapping, covering and running electrical lines for my heat lamps. I have picked all my freezable fruit and vegetables. I got wet from sweating doing all these preps for the freeze. If I had known I would cause this Arctic Blast of cold air, I wouldn't have planted those 2 little rows of beans on the 1st of January.

My wife is making Cajun 15 bean soup for the cold day tomorrow.( The recipe is on the package). She is also making the Mexican corn bread to go with the soup. So now I hope I am ready for the big chill.

Annette, you may be right.

Hope everyone made it home safely during the Holidays. Know some of you were stranded during the snow storms.

Luther

o

we are at 21 degrees this morning just as they forecast several days ago and the TV weather map shows lower temperature in the Florida panhandle. I hope you get lucky and don't have any frost. Luther I did the same as you did. I harvested all mature heads of cabbage, broccoli and a few other cole crops and covered my kale. I have three citrus trees that could be damaged. I have them grafted on flying dragon root stock that makes them a little more cold hardy. My rabbit eye blue berries have beautiful foliage brought on by the cold temps. I still don't see how anything could survive the extreme cold that the northern states have had to endure. The beans in the green house are still looking good.
Harry

o

I am astonished at the speed those beans came up, Luther. They wouldn't grow that fast in my garden even in the middle of summer. I would have to wait at least a week to 10 days to even see the first tiny speck of green emerging.

o

As Annette said, "Luther, you're such a tease :)."

It was 4 degrees here this morning, when I got called in to work at 5AM.

I had to go in because of a power outage due to the winds knocking down a tree. The generator tripped a breaker when it tried to start and wouldn't reset. Found the problem, a shunt switch was frozen from just a tiny bit of moisture inside of it.

The last time it was this cold here was in 1984. There are cars sitting on the side of the road everywhere!

o

Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 13:30

floral, when the temperature is in the eighties it only takes 3 days for beans to come up here. I only plant the seed 1/2 inch deep, not what is recommended. Try soaking the seed over night.

Tom, you are getting the bad part of this storm. I wouldn't know how to cope in your 4 degree temperature. You have to be a tough dude to work in that environment doing what you do. Just be careful around all that hot stuff. You guys have to wear so much clothing that it is a hazard in itself.

We lucked out and it was only 34 degrees here this morning. At present I don't see any major damage to any of my vegetables. By Saturday they are predicting it will be back in the eighties. But we have several more weeks of winter weather. I'm sure we will have more cold spells come our way before spring.

Harry, sounds like you made all the necessary preps for the 21 degree temperature you had. In your location it is nice to have a green house. Sounds like you have a nice set up. I agree, those living in the extreme cold areas have had it rough. Several records were set in locations around the country.

The weather forecasters are saying good weather is around the corner. So hang in there.

Luther

o

"when the temperature is in the eighties..." hollow laughter from this side of the pond. That would be about 3 days per year ;-) The highest temperature where I live in the last decade was 93 f one afternoon in June 2006!

I don't soak beans or peas because there is no guarantee it will be possible to sow them when they have been soaked because the weather may be too wet. While you wait for a dry day the seed rots. Or you get it sown and then it rains for several days and it rots in the ground. Sometimes they never come up at all because the ground is too cold and wet. I'm so jealous of your winter beans - but maybe not of your summer temps.

o

We had a break in the weather today. It is 36 Degrees now!

When I got home a few minutes ago, I grabbed a beer from my fridge in my unheated outbuilding. I came in and sat it on the counter while I changed clothes. I popped the top and it is frozen solid!

I've never saw that before!

Give me Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm

o

Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 20:14

Hello Everyone,

I think we will all see a big change in the weather by the weekend. Monday we had our Air conditioner on. Tuesday morning it was 69 in the house and we turned the heat on. The outside temperature was 34 and we have had the heat on since, with the north winds blowing strongly. By Friday afternoon we will have the Air conditioner back on. We have had some crazy weather all across the country. They are predicting a record high temperature Saturday in this location.

Luther

o

Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 10:30

Hello Everyone,

We have been lucky here in this location and the cold weather has not came this far down. In the northern states folks are shoveling snow and we are still cutting our lawns.

I pulled up my Griggs lima bean pole beans this past week and picked off all the beans. My Mezcla lima beans I will pull up this week as they have about stopped producing.

Here is a picture of some Fortex pole beans I picked this morning for dinner. I planted a short row late in the season.

Fortex Pole Beans

photo 20140115_3_zpsac382138.jpg

We are expecting a cool spell in a couple days that may bring frost in some areas.

Luther

o

Luther, you are making me want to move to Florida when I retire!

I've been freezing all morning even though the sun is shining. It is almost 40 degrees now @ 12:47. :)

o

Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:56

Wertach, we are getting some cool weather today. They have predicted a low of 34 tonight and frost in some areas. I had to go out and cover some of my vegetables. If the wind stops blowing we will get our 1st frost of the winter.

Luther

o

Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 14:38

wertach, we dodged the bullet again. It only got down to 36 degrees here and some areas got frost but missed my area.

Luther

o

I planted sugar snap peas outside 3 days ago, it's still a bit cool here in SE Texas at night, but from everything I've read now is the time to pop them in the ground. I've got other veggie seeds started inside, and I'll be transplanting those once they get a bit bigger. This is my first time really gardening, (I've only ever been able to container garden a wee bit here and there being in the military) but now we're retired and settled so I've put in a 4' X 20' raised bed and today we put in some vertical beds out of rocks a friend gave us. Really looking forward to the year and praying I don't mess the whole thing up!

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 10:16

VivVarble, welcome to the forum. Don't go near the water until you learn how to swim don't apply to gardening. We all make mistakes and that is how we learn. I'm sure you will do great. Sounds like you have done your home work and you can get a lot of info from this web site.

Harry you live in SE Texas, maybe you can give some info on the area gardening. I'm sure others will chip in on the growing of sugar snap peas in your area.

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Thank you Luther, I haven't done much gardening since I was a small child with my mom and grandfather. Sure wish I would've paid closer attention as they're both gone and I can't ask them about things! I found this treasure trove and decided to hop on it. I'm sure I will learn way more than I intended this first season lol. I figure trial and error will be my faithful companions for some years to come!

Harry, I'm just north of Beaumont in a little town. It doesn't appear to have too many gardeners, that's one reason I signed up here.

o

Hi Vivvarble. I live in Bridge City. I'm 86 years old and have been gardening here since 1970. I just checked my old records and the last year I planted peas was 1980.I always planted them around Feb 15th was successful only about half the time I planted them. Our weather is erratic in SE Texas. Last spring we had one cold front after another with record cold in April. I mostly plant pole lima beans And they like hot weather and I only planted one variety, late, that I started in small pots in my greenhouse to plant when the weather warmed up. My wife does the tomatoes and green beans and my son does the sweet corn I only know one young man that is trying to learn a little gardening that asks me lots of questions. All the young folks in my neighborhood live on fast food and could care less about gardening. I have reduced my garden space because of stink bugs and white fly which can do much damage and are very hard to control. I'm not trying to discourage you but just letting you know what to be prepared for. Potatoes and sweet potatoes grow good here and cole crops do real good in fall and winter months. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to try to help you.
Harry

o

Hi Harry, you're an answer to prayers! No one here gardens and it's sad. I'll keep my eyes on the peas, and try again if nothing happens in the next week or so. The package said it could take up to 21 days which might be a good thing with this crazy weather we are getting this week, we are forecasted for snow this week! I'm planning on tomatoes, potatoes, squash, zucchini, broccoli, herbs, onions, garlic, green beans, cucumbers, hot peppers, sweet peppers, spinach and a few lettuces. The family loves all of those yummy things and I'm hoping that I can get to the point where I can start canning some of it up also, along with my salsa.

I was indeed wondering about the bugs, so I could know what to be on the lookout for. I read about the SVBs and have been hoping those aren't too bad here. I've read about the stink bugs, I'll have to look up the white fly as I don't know what that is. What are cole crops? I've started looking at things to plant for fall/winter, I like to be organized and have my plan of attack in place before I need it, lol.

How do tomatoes do here, are there many issues with them? One of my daughters has asked for lima beans so I'll have to try those out for her. I'm hoping that my affection for gardening will rub off on them, they've been super helpful with building everything and toting things for me, let's hope it continues.
Thanks so much :)
~Viv

o

Hi VIV. Not very many gardeners are here any more either. All of my gardening neighbors are dead and all of my young neighbors are distracted by the electronic devices called smart phones. I have a close friend that owns a nursery that has sold half of his green houses and is only open part time, because of lack of customers. He said most were older people that have died and there are no younger ones replaceing them. That is what is sad.
It sounds like you have a good plan and what you need to learn is the correct varieties of each vegie and when to plant them. My wife is the tomato guru and she can really give you good info on variety and growing instructions.
I can help on the potatoes; Yukon gold and red Pontiac grow good for me. I try to plant them around Valentine day.
I can give lots of tips to be successful with them
What I call cole crops is cabbage, broccoli, mustard greens, collards and most fall and winter plants.
We are very fortunate to have the Farmer's Mercantile store In Orange County were we can buy bulk seed at a very reduced price along with any chemical or fertilizer you may need along with free advice about using them.
I have a little good news to pass along, A grand son of a departed friend contacted me last summer wanting to learn about gardening. He was sorta like you and wasn't interested when Grand Pa and Grammy were alive BUT he remembered that he sure liked Grammy's meals. He is a fast learner and we have become great friends.
If you are ever in our area I would welcome a visit and I could give you some heirloom bean seed that is not available otherwise.
If you would like to contact me my cell phone is: 409-734-7112
Harry

o

Harry, I was just down your way a couple of weeks ago, and now that I know you're there, I think it would be lovely to meet you and your wife. I think it would be great to learn from you both. I've gotten mixed information from the internet on the best varieties for this area, so it would be good to hear from you and your wife who've been growing here for years. I'm glad your friend was able to get in touch with you and has gotten into gardening. I really enjoy what little I've been able to do over the years, it's been difficult due to the military life, but I am definitely looking forward to being able to grow all year. I am planning on cole crops; broccoli, cabbage, and the like. Eventually, I'd love to have a greenhouse where I could possibly winter tomatoes and other summer foods.

I've written down your number for future use. I'd really like to come see you and the mercantile store, sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't bought my seeds for beans (I'd love to try yours!) or cucumbers yet, so it would be fun coming down. Thanks for the advice on the potatoes, I was going to plant mine as soon as they arrived, but now I know to wait. I'll talk to you soon and thank you again!

~Viv

o

Viv, my wife received a phone call about an hour ago from a local lady wanting to know when her son-in-law should plant his garden on property he receintly purchased south of Woodville. She suggested he subscribe to The Texas Gardeners magazine. I told my wife she didn't go far enough. He should also purchase The Vegetable Book by Dr Sam Cotner. I have had a copy of it since it was first printed in 1985. It has very detailed instructions on about every thing you should want to know about gardening In Texas and other southern states. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of it you can go to www,texasgardener.com/store/products click on books and scroll down to near the bottom of the page to find it. They say it has been a very popular book and now is in it's 4th printing I highly recommend It. The magazine subscription is also available there . It has the latest gardening news about the newest varieties and growing tips.
I bought my seed potatoes yesterday at The Farmer's Mercantile store. I always buy small tubers that don't need to be cut. I placed them in a paper bag in a warm closet and will allow them to sprout and in about two weeks I plant them in a row I have previously tilled in a bunch of leaves and grass clippings last fall. By the time I'm ready to plant, the leaves and clippings have composted into good organic material that the potato plants really like. Before I plant I sprinkle a balanced fertilizer on the row and tiil it in real good. After the plants emerge and start growing , I use a rake and pull soil around them from both sides of the row and I usually do that two or three times or until the plants have spread out and have covered the row
The Farmer's Mercantile already have their bulk vegetable seed in stock. All the seed are good varieties for East Texas.
We are ready for your visit and I know you will enjoy the Farmer's store.
Harry

o

Harry, I just looked up the magazine and book, thank you. Those would both be helpful.

Is there a particular reason you let the potatoes sprout before you plant them? I'm still waiting for my seed potatoes, hopefully they'll be arriving soon.

~Viv

o

Hi Viv. In my opinion The pre sprouted seed seem to start growing much faster than when you plant them in the cold ground and waiting for them sprout in that cold environment. It works for me and I will continue the process until some one shows me a better way. You just have to handle them careful and not break off the tender sprouts when you plant them.
Hey Luther, are you supposed to get any of this freezing weather Viv and I are expecting this afternoon thru next week? I sure hope you don't.
We have some small pods on the flamingo bean plants I have in the greenhouse. I hope they don't abort in all this crazy weather in our area.
Harry

o

Harry, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

o

Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 9:53

Harry, we are getting our winter weather now. On the 19th we were suppose to get a low of 37 and a freak freeze dropped our area down to 31 for about an hour. I had some freeze damage as I wasn't expecting it. Since then we have had a frost yesterday morning. My Fortex pole beans got killed when we had the freeze as I didn't have a heat lamp on under them. My Jade 2 bush beans was saved as I turned on heat lamps that evening. My Mezcla pole lima beans I pulled up as they had already stopped producing and I managed to pick a mess off them, plus save some seed.

You are doing a good deed helping a fellow beginner. We all had to start with very little knowledge. By showing someone how to do things will save him years of mistakes. Trial and error can get to be expensive and a season wasted.

VivVarble, I would advise you to go and let Harry show you and give you the correct information. Some things you can not get out of a book. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Luther

o

Luther, it stinks that you lost your beans. Hopefully, this crazy weather will sort itself out soon and then we can get on with growing. I count myself lucky to be able to talk to Harry and his wife. My eldest daughter (16) and I are planning on heading their way and meeting them both soon. I think books can only get you so far, then with experience and wisdom and a bit of luck, you can farther. Thanks for introducing us Luther!

~Viv

o

Hi Luther. Sorry about your cold spell but that could be a trial and error episode. In your climate I might try the same gamble. I think it could be April before I plant any seed outside. Last year we have a cold front weekly until we had record setting cold in April and by then it was too late to plant anything that summer heat would effect. This morning ended 30 plus hours of below freezing temperature and we have a forecast for the same next week. As you know the only beans I planted were the HTD speckled limas that I wanted to test to see if they would pollinate in the high 90s. They did better than I expected and set pods in July and August and the beans were excellent tasting. They will be in my garden again this year.
I guess I started gardening with more knowledge than most folks as that I grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s The best I can remember nearly every one had a backyard garden to help them survive. My Dad was still at it when I got married and my sweet wife and I got the shovel hoe and rake out and continued the trend in our little back yard. No rototillers were around then. If you didn't have a horse and turning plow you had to do it they way I was doing it. A friend I worked with, bought the first tiller I had ever seen and I was so impressed I went to the feed store that sold them and bought one. After tilling our back yard We went to my Dad's large piece of property and made a larger garden. We bought this two acre chunk of paradise in the late 60s and after our kids finished high school built our present home in 1970. To make a long story shorter, I am still in the learning stage and try at least one new thing every year. Since my health has greatly improved this past year I probably will test several different things in the garden this year plus I will get back to fishing on a regular basis. I've got my fingers crossed that my good fortunes continue.
Viv you are right on it, luck does have a large role in successful gardening. Just don't quit trying when you have a crop failure.
Harry

o

Wow, this cold is something else! I just went and got my free compost to fill up my rock beds with. Looking forward to getting that set up and ready to grow.

Harry, I sent you an email about some seedlings with pictures. It's title "question about seedlings". I may just give you a ring after church tomorrow. I think I'm getting to far ahead of myself and trying to do too much. I need to take stock and get myself back on realistic goals. Now that I have the garden, I just want to plant everything! Talk to you soon!

~Viv

o

Viv. I have a new email address.

hdodge86@sbcglobal.net

Harry

o

Eee wish I could start some beans! Got awhile longer to wait though lol. It'll be my first year growing them.

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 12:57

Hello Everyone,

From all indications we are going to have a late spring. In my area we had mild weather until the middle of January. Since we have had unseasonable cool weather for our area. The only beans I have growing are the Jade 2 bush beans and they are only 3 or 4 inches high. They are just sitting and not growing due to the cool weather we are having. Only planted 2 30 feet rows as an experiment to see if I could make them this early. It was warm when I planted them and they came up in 3 days. I will make enough for the two of us to eat but I will have to cover them and put heat lamps under the cover if necessary.

Viv, don't rush the season. Let Harry inform you of the correct time to plant the different vegetables. It is different in all areas. I have been gardening for many years and I'm still learning. If you have a small garden plot, you will be able to grow more using the pole variety items. Also run your rows North to south to take advantage of the sun during the early spring days. Everything depends on your lay out. Also turn your soil a couple times so the sun will warm it in the early spring before planting. The seed will not germinate until the soil reaches the correct temperature. All these things you will learn in due time.

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 21:55

Hello Everyone,

We have had some very cold weather across the country. We have had a low of 31 degrees for about an hour. I got some freeze damage because they had said a low of 37. Thank goodness I had covered my jade 2 beans and turned the heat lamps on. We have also had a frost that same week. Now we have the air conditioner on and they say it will be in the low eighties this next week. Never know when we will have to turn the heat on.

Jade 2 Green beans

photo 20140201_2_zps139427ea.jpg

Luther

o

I guess I'll hold off planting my beans for just a bit :), this is what we woke up to this morning. Up until now it's been pretty mild for this time a year. The temp is supposed to drop into the basement also this week, that means the snow will be around for awhile. Annette

o

Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 12:44

Annette, that is a beautiful picture but not to wake up to. Your area has missed the really cold weather until now. I wouldn't know how to live in your area. Guess you will have to stay inside and get cabin fever. What do you do when you are snowed in for weeks at a time?

Luther

o

Luther, you must live in Florida. Annette does not get snow very often.

o

The sun came out and the snow's a melting, the trouble is it's still on the ground, our road hasn't been ploughed so when the sun goes down :(. Night temps are going to dip into the 20's so driving is going to be a little dicey. If we're lucky the snow will be gone in a couple of days.

Luther, we never know what kind of a winter we'll have from year to year, sometimes the winters are quite mild with lots of rain others we can have snow off and on throughout the winter, sometimes a lot, sometimes just a sprinkling. There have been winters where the temp has dipped below 0F and then there are winters where we can run around in our shirtsleeves during the day but need a jacket come nightfall.
It's a good time to go out and get my greenhouse in some kind of order, almost time to start those seeds.
Annette

o

Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 12:36

Dar, it gets cold where you live at also. You guys have had a very cold winter.

Annette, it won't be long before it is time to start your seeds in your greenhouse. The days are getting longer and spring time will be here soon.

Have most of my bean growing garden ready to plant. Put down Horse manure and it has had time to decompose. Will have to wait on my cole crop areas.

Luther

o

Luther,

I planted my beans this past weekend. With this favorable weather, some are coming up already.
I had planted some bush beans in December, Derby and Contender. They hadn't done much till this week.

This post was edited by shuffles on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:26

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 14:31

Shuffles, yes we have had some warm weather this past week. In the low eighties will make the beans come up in a hurry. I also planted a few pole beans myself due to the warm weather. Just couldn't help myself because the weather made it planting time. Mine are also coming up. Only planted what I could cover and add heat lamps if we get a cold spell. Last year we had a frost on march the 4th. So anything can happen in this crazy weather.

Luther

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:57

Syntria, I missed your post. Sounds like you are going to grow beans for the 1st time this year. What type are you going to plant? I have extra seed if you want to give some that I have a try. Send me an email and I will send you seed to get started on. Have pole and bush type of the green beans and Lima beans.

Luther

o

I'm planning to start pole beans soon just south of Houston.
Do you plant your pole beans all at once or as successive plantings?
Annette that picture and the snow is so pretty.

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 12:53

Lucille, I try to plant them a few at a time so they all don't get ready at the same time. Some normally take longer than others. So you will have to take that in consideration. As the weather gets warmer the faster they grow and it seems like they all get ready at the same time. I don't freeze or can my green beans so I make sure I space them out as far apart as possible. When the weather gets hot here they won't make.

Have some bush beans that have just a few blossoms. Have 2 varieties of pole beans that just came up. Only have planted what I can cover and put heat lamps under. At least I will have some beans to eat because the greens & cole crops have about run their course.

Luther

o

Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:53

Have two rows of different varieties of pole beans and my bush beans are starting to put on a few blossoms. Everything depends on the weather. At present we have a cool spell blowing thru, so everything will come to a halt growth wise.

Bush Beans & Pole Beans

photo 20140213_3_zps85a2ae91.jpg

Luther

o

Luther, those pole beans look like maybe four inches apart. Do you plan to thin them? If so, how far apart? My bush beans planted in December are now blooming like crazy. All my pole beans are up except for the purple pod one that I forget the name of. It looks like I will have to re-plant that one the next time it warms up.

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 14:14

Shuffles, no I won't thin them any more than 4 inches. Now some varieties do require thinning like the Doc Martin, which I will plant in a couple weeks. Most of my beans I leave like they come up unless I need to replant a large blank space. The ones I planted the 1st of the year are full of blossoms. Will have beans to eat before end of month. That is if old man weather don't go crazy on us.

Luther

o

Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:31

Hello Everyone,

We had a cool snap come thru and it slowed things down for a few days. The temperature is back in the low eighties and the air conditioner is running. The growth of my bush beans came to a halt during this cool snap we had for a few days.

Here is a picture of my Jade 2 Beans

photo 20140223_2_zps0f1ebdb3.jpg

Now that we are back in the low eighties each day the beans will make in a hurry. But the bad news is my cole crop will expire practically overnight.

Luther

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 10:51

Hello Everyone,

Have been planting all types of beans here recently. The Monte Cresto, Ma Williams, Pinkeye Purple hull BVR cowpea, Alabama speckle butter pea and Doc Martin are coming up at this time. Yesterday I planted the bush big giant red Tarka bean. These are the beans that I have going this week. In my back yard garden everything needs attention at the same time during the spring time.

All the meat we eat is full of Steroids, all the fruit and vegetables are full of insecticides. I try to grow as close to a organic garden as I can. My wife is on her second round of Chemo treatment for Pancreatic cancer. The question is what is causing all this cancer. Does the Steroids and insecticides we consume cause cancer? We can put a man on the Moon but we can't find a cure for cancer.

I have a few bush Jackson Wonder butter bean seed if anyone would like some. Have 2 or 3 hundred extra I can send out in 30 to a pack. Email me your mailing address. If you need over 30 let me know.

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Luther, so sorry to hear what your wife is dealing with, give her a big hug from me and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I don't use pesticides in my garden just use lots of compost and then it's fingers crossed, so far it's worked for me.

Annette

o

I should have added... as far as keeping my plants healthy.
As far as the environment goes all we can do as individuals is do the best we can, every little bit helps, not using pesticides for one is a step in the right direction.

Annette

o

Luther, was your wife taking any medications before this happened? I was put on a cholesterol-lowering prescription and quickly developed sharp pains in my pancreas. I stopped taking it and the pain went away. My doctor put me on a different kind and I immediately got the pain again. I refused taking anything else. Down-on-the-knees prayers for your wife.

Ann

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 21:13

Ann, she was taking a cholesterol lowering drug Lovastatin. Discovered that drug affected your Liver. Seems each time you go to a doctor they give you another prescription. Don't think all these drugs are good for your system. Thank you for your prayers.

Annette, thank you for your hugs and prayers. She has gone thru Cyberknife radiation at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida and it shrunk the Tumor some but not enough for an operation.

Luther

o

Hey Luther, first, I am so sorry that your wife is going through this. I will send good thoughts her way.

Thank you for sending the bean seeds, they arrived yesterday. It's 20 degrees here at the moment, so the beans will sit in front of my computer monitor and remind me that Spring will come . . . some day.

I have two newb questions about pole beans. From your photos, it looks like you have your beans growing up string. Is there anything they don't attach to well? I have a metal garden trellis that I thought I would re-purpose for bean growing this year.

And secondly, I know there are pole beans and bush beans. Do the green beans or string beans that are commonly sold in stores come from one or the other - or both?

o

Hello Luther.

Always a pleasure to read your thread, especially sitting up here in the frigid NE.

I was wondering, after all is said and planting is done, just how many bean varieties will you have growing at the same time? And how many pole vs bush? Seems like 100's lol. Just curious.

Hope your (non-ending) season continues to be bountiful.

RIck

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 15:36

graywings, the pole beans will climb up anything I have used. Maybe someone else can list any problems they have had growing material for their pole beans. The local stores usually list their bush green beans as green beans. If they are pole beans they will specify them as pole beans and they usually will be a difference in cost.

Gardening is mostly a hobby with me. Where else can you get fresh organic vegetables with a really good taste. I plant several hundred plants of all types. I keep my freezers full of fresh vegetables that we eat out of season. I give all my excess to the neighbors, especially families with children.

Rick, I grow numinous varieties, making sure I have some of each one during the growing season. Most all varieties will do good during the spring crop. Only a few during the hot summer months in the south. Then we have vegetables that do real well in the fall and only a few during the winter months. It is like anything else, there is a time to do different things. When one crop phases out I have something else to replace it with.

We have season's for all the different sports. This is the slow season for the sports that I enjoy.

Happy Gardening to all,
Luther

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 9:08

Got the Cascadia, Maestro, Canoe and Oregon Giant peas planted yesterday.

o

Drloyd, you've got bare ground??? It snowed again yesterday and the ground is still frozen here. Tell me you started them in pots, that'll make me feel better. I've got tomato plants under lights and just about to start some peppers but I haven't even thought about peas. Tatiana sent me a few 'Carouby de Maussane' snow peas I could start them in pots. I wasn't going to grow any peas this year as space is scarce. My bean list is pretty long and seems to be getting longer.

Annette

o

Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 10:46

Hello Everyone,

Well I'm finally getting to the point I've been waiting for. This next week I should be able to pick my first mess of green beans. They just won't grow fast enough. These are going to take over 60 days and I have always made them in less than 60 days. These cool spells we have had they just stop growing. This is a new experience for me as I have never grew them this early.

My Fortex pole beans need help in starting climbing up the trellis. This is something new for me. Do any of you have this problem?

Jade 2 Bush Green Beans

photo 20140302_5_zps61e81b8e.jpg

I buy Butchers twine for my vertical trellis by the pound roll from Amazon. It is easy for me to remove everything with a knife and a trash can.

drloyd, you are getting started early for your area. It would be interesting to find out when everyone starts their garden in their area. I know some of you only have a 3 month growing time frame. Let us all hear from you on your planting time.

Luther

o

"My Fortex pole beans need help in starting climbing up the trellis. This is something new for me. Do any of you have this problem?"

That seems to be the norm for the variety, mine need help getting started too. The runners take off horizontally, and it seems they would rather climb the neighboring trellis - or nearby plants - than the trellis they are planted under. I generally have 3-4 rows together, and the vines can grab each other & become a real tangle if I don't get to them for a week. Once started, though, they climb readily.

The good thing is that "Fortex" seems to be very disease resistant, so it does well when the weather is a little cooler & wetter than most beans would tolerate.

Plenty of cool (and cold) going around this year, much more than we are used to. What's that expression, "March - in like a lion, out like a lamb"? I think "lion" is a poor choice of words, they are hot-weather animals... Siberian tiger would be more appropriate this year. It yet remains to be seen if the lamb will show up before April.

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 0:40

Annette, we are still having frosts but March 1 is my goal for planting peas and my raised beds were dry enough to go ahead. So I put in about 200 row feet. The peas all go in at once and are pulled out in early July to make room for broccoli etc.

I know what you mean about the bean list growing!

Luther, the beans go in pots in mid-May and in the garden about June 1. First frost is in early to mid October.

- Dick

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 4:27

zeedman, you guys have had that Siberian tiger weather all winter. Now I know it is the nature of some of the Fortex beans to grow sidewise when starting to run.

drloyd, thanks for explain how you grow your beans. Oh what you guys have to go thru to grow your garden. I'm having trouble with my broccoli flowering out at this time. It will be gone soon. Do you get a lot of rain in your area?

I have about 6 different varieties of green beans up at this time. Will start eating them the last of this week. My neighbors will eat good this spring. Most of my rows are short rows so I can sample different varieties. Also the shellys, lima/butterbeans, and cowpeas. Also the other vegetable varieties. It is spring time here. All the Citrus trees are starting to blossom out.

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 9:13

Luther, annual rainfall is about 35 inches in Seattle and about 50 inches here. There is very little rain in the summer so we water continually in July, August and September. Last September was a rare exception with torrential rains most of the month which took out my bush beans. - Dick

o

Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 5:08

Dick, you did get the rain this past season. What is your temperature during the summer months? Between all that rain and cool temperature I guess it makes it almost impossible to grow any of the warm weather crops. What are your main vegetable crops you grow? Do grow apples, cherries etc...

Luther

o

Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 10:53

Luther, the midsummer highs are around 76F and the nights are around 50 with mid 40s common. So no Limas. :-(

Most common beans do fine and also potatoes, cole crops, summer and winter squash, cucumbers and most sweet corn varieties. Early tomatoes will do ok outdoors but late tomatoes do best in green houses and I have two with room for 50-60 plants. We do grow apples, cherries and plums.

In early June we plant winter cabbages that usually survive the winter until March or April when they sprout. They need to be covered if temperatures go down much below 20F. - Dick

o

Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 20:46

Dick, thank you on informing me about the things you grow in your area. I have never been to your area and I don't know beans about it. Yes I can see a high of 76 you can't grow any lima beans. They need about 85 degrees before they make. I always plant a fall crop and they usually get mature the 1st of December. Sometimes It is around Xmas before they fill out good. We had warm weather up until the middle of January then those cool fronts started coming down to my area. It is cool here during the nights but we have to run the air conditioner during the days. The weather has not gotten real hot here yet. But it is the time of the year we start having hot weather twenty four sevens.

Luther

o

Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 14:42

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked my first mess of the bush Jade 2 green beans. They took 64 days to make from the day I planted them on January one. We plan on having some of these stir fried in olive oil, garlic and sea salt. This will be part of our dinner today.

Jade 2 Green Beans

photo 20140305_2_zpsd78e1391.jpg

The bushes are just loaded with all sizes of beans and new blossoms. I think it has been worth all the trouble I had to go thru to make these beans.

Happy Gardening to all,
Luther

o

I've been trying to read as much of this thread as possible, but I'm a little overwhelmed. I have a couple of week old Kentucky Wonder plants that I'm growing in containers. When the cold front came in last sunday, I hurried them in (And I'm glad I did), but now I'm scared to bring them back out. They are dying to climb something so I need to do something soon.

So here is my question - what kind of night temperatures can they realistically withstand?

o

"My neighbors will eat good this spring."

Any houses for sale in the 'hood? lol

Nice mess of beans sir!

Rick

o

Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 21:22

40F does not seem to hurt bean plants.

o

I've seen Kentucky Wonders growing at 35 degrees. They do NOT deal with frost at all.

o

Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 3:45

SpoutingLexi, I think your question has been answered. These guys are more qualified to answer the how cold a green bean will take than me. I did grow these beans under cold conditions but they were covered with heat lamps. They will not take any frost at all. I've had some killed with just a light frost. So what they are saying is they will live down to almost freezing if no frost. So let them climb but cover them at night and put a heat lamp under them if necessary.

Luther

o

ok, that clears things up! Thanks a lot. It looks like no more frost for my area is in store this season. Well, I hope so anyway.

o

Luther... my mouth is watering looking at the beans :^)

I just put mine to soaking to 'wintersow' March and April is when we get our 'big' snow.

Jealous ;^)

o

Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:10

SproutingLexi, make you a trellis for them to climb up and have a old bed sheet or something to cover them if you get a frost. Also you can put any type of light under the cover to keep them warm. Problem solved.

vegpatch, It will be several weeks before you will have planting conditions. You may have to plant yours in pots and later transplant into the garden.

We had our second meal of the Jade 2 beans Sunday. We cooked them with new potatoes seasoned with butter. In the south we try to have a special meal on Sunday. I can remember my mother always made a special cake for our Sunday dinner. Sometimes the dessert was required to be made on Saturday for Sunday dinner.

Luther

o

It's warm enough in the greenhouse now so I've started a few little rice beans which I'll be growing in hanging baskets, 3 beans per basket, 5 baskets each variety. This has worked well for me in the past. This will give us enough for a taste and enough seed for another year.
So far I've got Comtesse de Chambord seed from France, Duchesse de Chambord seed from the U.K. and Little White Rice from Heritage Harvest Seed. The seed of these little rice beans are similar in shape but different in size. Growing all three I can do comparisons along the way. This isn't a great picture but it shows the differences. I picked the biggest seed from all three varieties, from left to right...Little White Rice, Comtesse de Chambord, Duchesse de Chambord. Luther made me do it, yep, it's all your fault Annette

o

I am also in 7B, Western Washington.
I have planted some peas about 10 days ago. I will plant a few more when those emerge. We have been having nice seasonably warm weather lately and seems to continue. The only problem is TOO MUCH rain and clouds.

o

Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 13:10

Annette, It is in the blood. You get that planting fever and you can't control it. Nice picture of the three beans. Hope they do good for you.

seysonn, I hope your peas will get enough sun and heat to germinate. Your area sure gets the cloudy and rainy weather. Hope they pop up soon.

Luther

o

Did you hear the joke about driving someone insane by putting them in a round room and telling them something they dearly want is in the corner? So what does this have to do with beans? I have about 80 varieties of beans in the freezer and I'm thinking about packing up 50 seed of each variety and shipping them all to Luther. The thought of all those beans and how long it is going to take him to grow them all is bound to cause anxiety attacks, upset stomach, dizziness, fainting spells, heart palpitations, and yes insanity. If a few more of you chip in, we could get him several hundred varieties of beans!

I'm out to get you Luther. With Beans!!!!

o

Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 10:25

Dal, You are out of luck. I've already planted every square inch of my garden. I purchased some containers for additional space. Now it will be called Luther's container's garden. I'm already going around in circles.

Luther

o

Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 9:57

Hello Everyone,

We have had some cool nights for the past couple weeks. Down in the fifties and low sixties. My beans have been slow growing. Still getting plenty of Jade 2 bush beans. Having to give them to the neighbors as we can't eat them but a couple times a week. If we have left overs we eat them more than twice a week.

Helda Romano Pole Beans

photo 20140316_10_zps879b3040.jpg

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 10:17

Dar, I am glad that you did not threaten Annette with that offer. It might have pushed her over the edge.

o

Dick, shhhhhh, don't give Dar any ideas. Next year I have to stick to varieties I haven't grown before, got to keep that seed viable.

I've had a couple of offers from people with more land to help grow and keep going some of the beans I've acquired, I think I'm going to take them up on it.

I wasn't going to grow peas this year but Tatiana sent me a few 'Carouby de Maussane' they've sprouted and will be planted out in the next couple of days.

One of our boys who lives stateside for 6 months of the year, got hold of the 'Little White Ice' (pole) beans I was looking for so, it looks like I'll have to bump something off my grow list if I want to grow them this year. I already have some 'Little White Ice' listed as bush beans, I'm wondering if these are really Ice/Crystal Wax. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, I'm just digging myself in deeper and deeper, curiosity is my downfall LOL.

Annette

o

Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 11:25

Hello Everyone,

We have had some cool nights the month of March. Set a record of a low of 53 a couple nights ago. My Jade 2 bush beans have kept us and several of the neighbors in green beans. Think they have saw their better days as we have picked over them several times. We are ready for some flat Romano beans this next week. Here is a picture of the Helda Romano Pole Beans.

photo 20140329_1_zps3d311ed9.jpg

Happy Gardening To All,
Luther

o

Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 11:21

Hello Everyone,

Today is the last day of March. We have had some cool nights this month for our location. The weathermen are saying we will have a day time temperature of 90 Saturday.
I just picked a pile of Romano beans today. Will share with the neighbors. These beans made in 59 days. Planted Fortex pole beans at the same time and they will not be ready for a couple more weeks.

Helda Romano Pole Beans

photo 20140331_3_zpsd40ae5f9.jpg

Have Monte Cresto pole beans putting on blossoms at this time.

Luther

o

This just isn't fair, you have me drooling all over my keyboard. Oh well all my little rice beans are up and growing in the greenhouse and it's warm enough in there to start my BJBB's, I've grown them in the greenhouse before with pretty good results so trying this again. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed we have a decent summer, I'm going to try some Chinese Red Noodles outside in a really warm protected spot, never know unless I try.
I have over 100 tomato plants started, all heirlooms. I only keep a few for myself , most are for my daughter and the neighbors. Garlic's up and looking good as are the snow peas. I bought some dandy looking shallots at our Seedy Sunday, they're planted out.

Annette

o

Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 21:05

Annette, sounds like you are getting into the spring planting mode. Had to pull up all my cole plants as they had bolted. All the yellow flowers had a swarm of honey bees daily. All my greens also bolted.

Tonight we had Romano beans cooked with red new potatoes and other good food. Gave some of the Romano beans to my neighbors.

Luther

o

Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 9:11

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked a large bucket of Fortex pole green beans. The vines are really loaded. It took 67 days for them to make from the day I planted them. In another post they are saying the Fortex is the best. I will give you my opinion after our meal today. We plan on cooking them with red new potatoes. That is a southern recipe in the south where I was raised.

Fortex Pole Green Beans

photo 20140408_2_zpsc5cb0f9f.jpg

Have other green beans that will be ready in a few weeks. After giving them a taste test I will know which varieties to plant in the future. Will share these with several of my neighbors.

Happy Gardening to all,
Luther

o

Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 12:08

Hello Everyone,

Picked a mess of Emerite Pole Green Beans this morning. They made real low on the vines. I saw them hanging from the lower horizontal bar on my trellis. They made lower than the other green beans this year. They made in about 60 days. The vines are really loaded with younger beans. Have several varieties of green beans planted so I can give them a taste test. My Monte Cresto should be ready this next week.

Emerite Pole Green Beans

photo 20140412_1_zpsca933855.jpg

A word of advice to you new gardeners. Turn your soil several times so the sun can warm it up. Also plant your seed as shallow as you can, just enough soil to cover them.
Make sure the seed has enough moister to wet them all the way thru.

Happy gardening to all,
Luther

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 15:31

Hello Everone,

After looking at the Monte Cresto beans I decided to pick a few. Discovered I had quite a few that were just about grown. I like to eat the beans before they get fully mature.
They are real tender at that stage. These made in about 61 days.

Monte Cresto Pole Green Beans

photo 20140413_3_zps386e278e.jpg

Grew these this past year and know they will be real good.
My neighbors will get tired of green beans before they stop producing.

Luther

o

I wish I was your neighbor right about now, those are some good looking beans. I think I see some flowers forming on my little rice beans I have growing in the greenhouse, still way too cold to put them outside but it won't be long now .

Annette

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 5:27

Annette, I wish you lived closer so I could give you all the green beans you could eat. I will have to agree with Darrel that the Emerite has a better taste than the Fortex. They are both good but the Emerite are slightly better than the Fortex. The Monte Cristo are up there with the best also. I pick my beans before they get fully grown and they taste better in my opinion. We all have our own taste buds.

Luther

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:58

Fine looking beans!

I am glad to hear that Monte Cristo is both early and good quality. That will be my primary green bean this summer. The rest will be full beans and shellies. May 1 I plan to start Aunt Jean's in peat pots, two weeks earlier than usual. Frost is possible in late May so I will cover them at night if necessary. - Dick

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:51

Dick, the Monte Cristo is an early bean. Don't know how it will stand up under our heat. We have had cool weather for our location. Altho it is in the sixties at night and low eighties in the day time. I hope it stays like for a few more weeks. But it is that time of the year when we start getting high temperatures. After Easter is when it gets hot.

All my other vegetables are starting to produce other than green beans. So the month of April/May we have a supply of everything. My lima/butterbeans are full of blossoms and will make in the month of May when we get in the high eighties. My shellies Ma Williams have pods about 4 inches long and haven't filled out yet. Flamingo beans have reached top of trellis. Have BVR pinkeye purple hull cowpeas planted also some speckle Bama peas.

Luther

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 12:04

Hello Everyone,

Happy Easter to everyone. I picked all different varieties of vegetables from my garden yesterday and distributed them to my neighbors. Asked each one what vegetables they liked or didn't like before giving them to each. Won't be able to harvest any vegetables for a couple of days as I picked it clean. We are also having some for our dinner.

Here is a picture of some Flamingo Beans that Gary gave me. They are some of the last beans I planted as I didn't want a late frost to surprise me.

Flamingo Beans

photo 20140420_4_zps55c05d5a.jpg

Luther

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here