Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UPDATE: Mystery bean

Posted by phantom_white Z6 (ruckus1837@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jan 26, 09 at 17:17

A few people posted replies on a post I made about some "mystery beans" I had found while I was shelling my Logan Giants. It turns out that those mysteries were variants of the Logan Giant bean. I found a source for 2 types of Logan's (purple spots and brown spots) as well as some other beans. If you'd be interested shoot me an email.

Also, what is a cut short bean?

Abby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Mystery bean

Hi Abby,

I found these definitions some time ago on a long-forgotten website:

"Cutshort" describes beans which are crammed so tightly into their pods that they get deformed. The most usual case is that their ends square off, as though they had been cut off. Thus, cut-short.

another term you may encounter:

"greasy" describes a group of beans which lack the microhairs that cover most pods. Thus, they look like they had been dipped in oil---hence, "greasy."

Hope this helps.

o
RE: UPDATE: Mystery bean

Just realized that the reply to my first post actually showed up... didn't see it otherwise I wouldn't have posted this a second time.
And thank you rdback! The person that has the Logan Giant seed also has some cutshort beans; I think I'll try them!

Abby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here