Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will runner beans climb a fence?

Posted by barbeygirl Z6 Idaho (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 17:58

I'd like to grow runner beans and runner-type cowpeas up my fence (4" x 2" wire mesh)...but will they climb? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will runner beans climb a fence?

I plant runner beans in a pot and I use 4" x 2" wire fencing. I build a cage 8ft high and 6" larger in diameter than the pot. Do the same with my Tomatoes but keep the cage height to 5-6 ft.
Jim

o
RE: Will runner beans climb a fence?

Runner beans are not self clinging nor do they have tendrils like peas. They climb by twirling round and round a vertical string, pole or stick. They would be happy going up a mesh fence but you might need to guide them occasionally. They can get up to 12 or more feet so I hope you have a high fence, unless you don't mind a tangle at the top where they wave about and grab each other in a search for support. And don't forget they will fruit both sides of the fence, so unless you have access both sides you may miss some beans. If this happens they might stop producing. With runners it is important to keep picking for prolonged production. If you do so they can crop for three or four months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here