Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_is_home

type of beans

texas_is_home
14 years ago

i love to grow beans because there sooooo easy to plant!!!!!!! i have grown kidney,lima,and pinto. now i am interested how to grow green beans and black beans. but i want to know what can you use black beans for anyways?

Comments (14)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Black beans are as dried beans. Perhaps best known is black bean soup, there is also a black bean chili. Google black bean recipes and it will keep you busy for awhile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black bean recipes

• neohippie
    14 years ago

They make really good refried beans too (really they're good in any Tex-Mex or Mexican bean dish). I think black beans have a richer flavor than pinto beans, but they're not as sweet as red kidney beans.

I like making black bean soup with chorizo. Chorizo is so spicy that a little bit goes a long way to flavor a whole pot of beans and it's a great way to eat cheaply.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also i have these other beans but i dont know what they are. There just a little bigger than pinto beans and there solid brown. more of a tan color. any idea what they are?

+ does anyone have pics of green bean seeds?

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Green beans simple refer to a cultivar which has green edible pods in the immature stage. Their seeds come in all sizes and colors depending on cultivar. Varieties grown exclusively for dry beans will have thin tough pods. Many cultivars are dual purpose.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

By looking at the picture, it's still next to impossible to identify that bean. Where did you get it? Perhaps the source can provide a clue.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• jimster
    14 years ago

Rice and beans is a great combination which is part of the cuisine of many cultures. In Nicaragua, red beans are favored while in Costa Rica it's black beans. They call it Gallo Pinto and it's not unusual for it to be served twice in one day and at any meal, including breakfast. It's a comforting dish and one you won't tire of. This, or something very similar, is known as Moors y Christianos in Cuba and simply as Red Beans and Rice in Louisiana.

Soak the beans over night and cook them, covered with water, until tender but not falling apart (about an hour). Combine the beans with an equal quantity of cooked rice, chopped onion and seasonings of your choice. Stir fry in a skillet with a few spoonsful of oil.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i got the beans from walmart. they said garden beans and i that was about it.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

If you got them from Walmart, they will have the cultivar name on the packet.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, i know im late responding, but i found the package the beans came in and they say Kentucky Wonder (pole type). can these be used as greenbeens?

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

The standard for old time green string beans. They do have strings but are productive and very tasty.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Those are good beans!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Very Good info.
    I am going to plant some climbing/non-climbing beans this year. I,ve already bought the seeds. My intention is to use them fresh ,freez/pickle them. Dry beans are not very agreeable to my system(LOL).
    I have grown some scarlet pole beans in the past, just as flowering vine. I have grown also hyacinth PB(labla). This one is my all time favorite as a flowering vine. Although it is also very productive and grows flat purple beans on clusters...way up there.
    And not to forget, I tried yardlong beans last year. Somehow there seems to be no interest about it on this forum. We talk about it on Asian Vegetabelss Forum.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How high would the beans reach? i have a section of my garden that has a chain link fence. could that be enough? its about 8 ft wide

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery