Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone speak German? (mystery bean)

Posted by macky77 2a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 18:23

I was given some seeds by a friend who moved this past summer and can no longer garden. One of the bean packages is labeled almost entirely in German. I can find the variety online and Google can translate enough to tell me a bit about it, but what I'd really like to know is if this is a hybrid or heirloom. Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stangenbohnen Quedlinburger Speck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone speak German? (mystery bean)

No hybrid P vulgaris available. All are open pollinated. This one is a pole bean so it has probably been around a while.

o

It's a green pole bean, stringless. It's an older variety and I've never read something that it's a hybrid. Grow it like every other pole bean.

I can translate the text prolly a bit better than google :-)

Mid early variety with long, almost straight, thick-fleshed pods with a good taste. High vigorous growth with plenty of leaves. Resistant to burn spots (anthracnose). For fresh use and canning. Prefers calciferous soil rich in humus with good water supply. Poles should be 50 cm (= 2 ft) apart and 6 to 8 seeds per pole 3 to 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) deep.

o

Awesome, folks... thank you VERY much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here