Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pole beans and corn

Posted by mtmomma 4Mt (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 3, 09 at 18:41

Last summer I tried using pole beans to hold up my corn (2 beans for each corn kernel)and it worked great but this year I am using purple king pole beans because finding the green beans in the green corn drove me crazy ! lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pole beans and corn

That is a good idea.

I was thinking the same thing about possibly planting yellow beans for visiblity, but I decided all beans planted within the corn will be dry beans next year.

Dean

o

That's an awesome idea. It's save money on trellises also..hmm...
So, do you plant both corn and beans at the same time? Corn first? Beans first?
Please enlighten me! :)

o

There is some difference between individual's preference. But I'll tell you what I do. I plant the corn first. Then, when it is almost a foot tall (between 8" and perhaps 14") I hill the corn (pull soil up around it covering most of the stalk) with a hoe. This is my main weeding. As soon as I hill the corn I plant my bean seed in the hill.

Also, there is some variation between corn varieties and bean varieties. Some are more vigorous and some are less vigorous. One might have to experiment a little to get things really fine tuned.

I grow non sweet corns which tend to be sturdier than sweet varieties. And, I've planted both moderate growing varieties of beans and extremely vigorous varieties on that corn. Both have worked. If I were going to plant beans on sweet corn I think I'd look at a bean with more restrained growth habits; perhaps a twining half runner.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: cornfield beans

o

Thanks for the tips. That will help clear up my trellises for other plants :)

o

Just keep in mind, that most of the time trellised beans produce more than those grown on corn.

George

o

The traditional 3 sisters garden (corn, beans and squash) had the corn planted and hilled first (as mentioned approx. 1 foot tall), then after hilling the beans and squash are planted. The corn allows the beans to grow up without an artificial trellis. The beans put nitrogen into the soil that the corn and squash need, and the squash's foliage keeps future weeds from getting significant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Three Sisters Garden

o

We get high winds here at least once every summer.

When high winds knock the corn down flat, what happens to the beans and squash? do they survive?

o

It makes it messy for the beans, if the corn gets knocked flat. They will have to start climbing (on something) all over again. That's one reason we settled on Mesquakie Indian corn. It is very resistant to lodging (blowing over).

Squash just simply rights itself and keeps growing : )

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here