Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth Bean? - I Don't Think So!!!!

Posted by arum 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 21:01

A girl sent me a bean that looks like the Hyacinth Bean, but it's white and has an even whiter line down the side. (She said it was a white Hyacinth Bean,since then I have aquired the real white one). I planted it and it grew like mad, went absolutely crazy, strangled almost everything in my garden, didn't bloom at all, till I finally got disgusted while waiting for a bloom, and RIPPID it out! Till this day, I don't know what it was. Any ideas? :) arum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth Bean? - I Don't Think So!!!!

Nope. No ideas. Do you have any?

Jim

o

Lmao. Maybe it was a jicama!.

o

Nope, - no ideas here. :)

o

There is a white-seeded Hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Usually the flowers are white as well. Very invasive as you found out and it often only starts to flower in its second year. I think it is mainly used in Chinese medicine.
I am adding a link to the white lablab.
Rose-Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: White Hyacinth bean

o

Rose-Marie, you might have something there! Maybe it didn't bloom because it was going to bloom the next summer. Hummmmmmm. :) Arum

o

I agree with Rose-Marie; the description of the plant & seed seems to match. Hyacinth beans are long season, perhaps even daylength-sensitive (which is why mine bloomed in September?). This might explain the lack of blossoms.

o

Now don't get me wrong, I DO have a white variety that is fragrant, and takes a short season to do what it does, it's just that this one weird bean acts so differently, that I think it's and from another planet. :)

o

Zeedman has given a good scientific point of view.If you rule that out then another possibility is that there may be too much Nitrogen in the soil.Try to remove Nitrogen by planting corn first and after harvesting corn, plant the bean to see if that is the reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here