Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a particular Southern shell pea

Posted by leylowe 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 2, 07 at 21:35

So glad to find this forum! I'm planning my first backyard vegetable garden for next spring and summer, and I'd really like to grow a pea that I grew up eating in middle GA but now cannot find anywhere. My grandfather grew what we called "little white peas." The name we gave them is misleading because they weren't white, they were light green both before and after cooking. They are not the tan-colored white acre peas, but are actually smaller and greener. They are not the purple hull ones either. I found a picture at the website linked below which looks very much like what I remember. This grower calls them conk peas - a name I've never heard, and says they are also called "green acre peas" or "cream peas." Does anyone here know how I can get my hands on some, and is "conk" the right name of the pea I'm thinking of? Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of conk peas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a particular Southern shell pea

Did you try contacting the grower you refer to? Seems like that would be the best starting point.

I can't find any reference just to conk (probably conch?). But both William Woys Weaver and Jere Gettle grow a Running Conch, and list it in the SSE Yearbook. That may be what you're looking for. Here's the description: "long vining plants, good yields of small, delicious cream-colored peas, great for growing in the South, one of the parent varieties of Zipper Cream, an heirloom of the late 1800s." Gettle lists it at MR, which would indicate it's in tight supply. This is supported by the fact it is not listed in his catalog.

Weaver, who adds that it's best for the deep South, got his seed originally from J.L. Hudson. So you might check the Hudson catalog to see if it's still listed.

o

What you are looking for is conk or green acre peas. Zipper cream peas are very close in taste, just easier to shell, and a little larger. Check Victory seed company, as they are one of the only places have found them. If not mistaken they call them Texas cow peas. There is a company in Plant City, FL,- (Southwestern Produce) that will send them to you already shelled and frozen. Not all bad if you can't get them any other way. Have done it a couple of times since moving to Colorado.

o

Seems like most white peas are greenish in color before they are mature....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here