Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone compare flat/Italian bush varieties?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 21:44

I didn't really keep track of varieties, but I know I've had flat pod/Italian-style bush beans with more flavor than I've ever tasted in stringless bush green beans, and I want to grow more. How do the different varieties compare? Roma II/Romano 14/Jumbo/others? Has anyone trialed multiple varieties and come up with a favorite? Is it true they all tend to flop over more than other types of beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone compare flat/Italian bush varieties?

the bush beans do not flop any more than round or oval bush beans. Jumbo is a special case. It is a cross that tastes more like an old fashioned pole bean than a Roma type. It has huge long pods like a pole bean and does tend to flop. Outstanding flavor tho. The pole types like Romano,Helda, Musica are better than the bush Roma II, Pension. None of them seem to do as well in the south as the regular beans.

o

farmerdill, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you've done a lot of varietal experiments. When you say the pole types are better than the bush types do you mean better flavor?

My limited experience with beans is that every pole type (including the locally common "half runners") have great flavor in comparison to the regular bush types, but they're all stringy. The flat type bush beans are the best compromise I've found in good flavor (like in the pole types) but stringlessness (like the regular bush types). I still grow half runners and regular pole beans for flavor, but the strings limit my interest in them.

o

Yes, much better flavor. Some the more modern varieties like Northeaster are stringless. I have not had any stringiness problems with half runners like Volunteer, State etc tho when harvested before they get too beany. I have not gotten satisfactory performance from Roma II. Jumbo is outstanding but is not a true Roma/Romano type.

o

I like my brown-seeded Romano bush bean Yer Fasulyasi, an heirloom, and also black-seeded Marconi Nano, both very meaty and keep making beans long into the season. White-seeded Capitano was also good but not as prolific.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here