Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crnagora95

Bean Spacing

crnagora95
13 years ago

I have been starting to plan out my garden now, and I have a question. I want to grow a lot of different pole bean varieties this year, I have 22 that I'd like to try. I plan on growing them up 6' - 8' tree branches, as my areas for them is narrow (otherwise I would use tipis). I have a 1' by 23' plot. What is the closest I can plant bean seeds so that they grow well and produce. Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I've read everything from 6"-1'. Not a lot of room for 22 varieties over 23'. It can't be cheap to order 22 packs of seeds only to plant 1-2 seeds from each pack. If yield and susceptibility to plant disease are important to your final choice you might want limit your planting to 4-8 varieties. That way you will have a larger sampling of plants in each variety planted to draw your conclusions from.

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have got these seeds from trades, so it didn't cost anything but postage. That is a good idea to limit the varieties, but there are so many I want to try, and they all sound so good! Here are the ones I want to plant:
    WAX BEANS-
    Gold of Bacau
    Anellino Giallo
    Uzice Speckled Wax
    Barksdale
    ROMANO BEANS-
    Italian Pole
    Bosnian Pole
    Musica
    SNAP GREEN BEANS-
    Cherokee Trail of Tears
    Rose
    Cades Cove
    Barnes Mountain Cornfield
    Turkey Craw
    Santa Anna
    Blue Lake
    Kentucky Wonder
    MULTICOLORED/PURPLE BEANS-
    Trionfo Violetto
    Purple Podded
    Rattlesnake

These are all pole beans.

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Plant 3 or 4 seed per hill with each hill a foot apart. The plants will intertwine so much you won't be able to tell one variety from a neighbor, but you will get lots of beans.

Beans enjoy fertile soil and they benefit from using innoculant. Water them often if rain is not adequate.

DarJones

• bkinWisconsin
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what your taste test involves, but if you were to plant, say, two green bean plants, that probably wouldn't produce enough beans at one time to make a decent meal of fresh cooked beans for you. It's a gamble which of those beans would be ripe at the same time if you're going to eat them fresh. If you're going to let them mature to dry bean stage, I think it's just going to be a mess trying to sort out that many varieties because the plants will get tangled up during growing. The space you have available I believe is too tight for that many varieties.

I guess you have to figure out a plan as far as cutting back substantially on the number of varieties for that space. The bean seed will keep so maybe next year you can plant the ones you do not plant this season.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

I'm afraid that I would also recommend reducing the number of varieties planted, perhaps breaking it up into 2 groups.

As tempting as it is to grow that many varieties in one year, they would be severely crowded, and there would not be enough of any one kind to give you an accurate sampling of their full potential. Believe me, I feel that temptation too; sometimes a variety that I want to try gets pushed back several years, until I can find room for a 10' row. Some of your beans - such as "Rose" and the Romanos - are especially vigorous, and might overrun their neighbors.

If you do go with the mega-trial, I would recommend planting a hill of 3-4 seeds of each variety, with hills 12" apart. After the first true leaf is fully open, cut off all but the strongest plant in each hill.

I wish I could recommend keeping 2 per hill... but the more vigorous varieties would be crowded, and put all of their energy into climbing higher. Given the length of your growing season, the strongest climbers would just form an impenetrable mass of foliage at the top of the trellis, and shade the weaker varieties beneath them. I think you would be happier with the results at the wider spacing.

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zeedman: So I should cut the list in half and maybe space them two feet apart? I decided to only grow these:
    WAX BEANS-
    Gold of Bacau
    Anellino Giallo
    Uzice Speckled Wax
    Barksdale
    ROMANO BEANS-
    Bosnian Pole
    Musica
    SNAP GREEN BEANS-
    Rose
    Blue Lake
    Kentucky Wonder
    MULTICOLORED/PURPLE BEANS-
    Trionfo Violetto
    Rattlesnake

I am also growing a family heirloom from the former Yugoslavia I forgot to mention on the previous list. It is a Romano type bean. So in total I am growing only 12 varieties.

Is it possible to grow pole beans in containers? I have some 13 gallon pots I won't be using this season, and if I can grow them in pots, I can try more varieties.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it!

Sponsored