Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best flavor green bean for CANNING ?

Posted by doiturselfer 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 22:27

Hi all,

Yep, seed time is here, and wondering if any of you are gourmet bean eaters who can your produce!

I canned beans last year, and am generally happy with the results. Used a bit older beans and their texture is just fine.

I'm detecting a slight bitterness, though, or maybe an off-flavor, and it made me wonder if it's the variety, or my water, or just the nature of canning under pressure. I thought it would be worthwhile to ask of you if there is a particular tried and true variety that you've found that performs well for canning, in terms of flavor.

Thanks ! Seed time is coming and I'd like to be prepared !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best flavor green bean for CANNING ?

The pole variety "Emerite" is the best I've tried. Very firm, sweet, and completely stringless even when large.

o

I'll second Emerite, but will add these as further possibilities.

Kentucky Wonder
Rattlesnake
Blue Marbut
Black Seeded Blue Lake

You didn't mention whether you prefer pole or bush beans.

Contender
Florence
Festina

DarJones

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 18:09

Greasy Beans are good too.

o

Thanks, all. I'm in Canada, and so don't have access to all the varieties you name, but I AM able to get Emerite, so I will try that one this year. Many thanks !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here