Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cascadia snap peas harvesting or green manure?

Posted by raerae1 8 pnw (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 23:44

I am going to be planting cascadia snap peas in my garden since I have a large portion of it that will sit until my summer vegetables go into the ground in May sometime. I wanted to know if the peas that I plant will produce by May (I will be planting early Feb) and be finished so I can have room to plant the summer stuff? If they will not be finished or only nearly finished, I'm not certain how to use them as green manure. Do I just dig them into the ground and then plant, or will they need to decompose for a certain amount of time? This is my first attempt at a garden. Last year I grew some vegetables in containers and had so much fun with my toddlers. Now we are using the garden to have organic food much cheaper, and a great learning opportunity. Thanks for any help in resolving these questions of mine.
Rachelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cascadia snap peas harvesting or green manure?

Can't predict when you peas will be ready. For green manure, you can pick the peas than turn the vines into the soil. If you shred the vines, Easy way is to run over them with a lawn mower or bush hog if you have a large plant, they decay very quickly. You can actually plant the same day, you till them into the soil. The other option is to assign the vines to compost.

o
RE: cascadia snap peas harvesting or green manure?

Thanks for your response, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here