Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
specific dried beans for specific recipes?

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 0:01

I've been trying to expand my bean horizons a bit, so I got the SSE eating bean sampler. In trying to figure out how to use them, I did a fair amount of searching for recipes that called for the specific varieties I received, and mostly came up short. Finally I ended up cooking up three different types for a big batch of chili. Pinto was just a bean, October was marvelously creamy-textured, and Dutch Brown was firm and somewhat nutty. So there are obviously some differences to account for here.

Do you find yourself preferring specific varieties of dried beans for specific recipes, or specific types of recipes? Or do you just find a few favorite beans and end up using them in a number of different applications?

~emmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: specific dried beans for specific recipes?

I live in the southwest, and pinto beans, black beans, and red beans are common in a lot of dishes. Less common, but historically used in this area are bolitas and a host of locally-grown beans (see the link)

I'm not a fan of pinto or bolita beans, too beany for me. Around here they are usually cooked with onions, garlic, and sometimes green chile as a side dish (not soup), which makes them palatable. ;-) They are both an ugly color when cooked, though.

Red beans are common in Texas-style chile, and I use them in a Portugese kale soup, too. They hold their shape well, have good color, and good flavor on their own or with red chile.

Black beans are cooked as a side dish like the pintos, and we eat them in soup and other dishes. They have a neutral flavor, similar to red beans but a bit firmer. Again, they hold their shape well, and as a side dish they are a lovely dark color, but in other dishes they color everything else a dingy dark.

Finally, my last commonly used beans are cooked dried butter (lima) beans, in a Tuscan style bean and sausage soup. The beans hold their shape, barely, but are creamy and soft and delicious. I also marinate the cooked beans in a tomato vinagrette and serve them as a salad. Yummy!

So, yes, I do prefer specific dried beans for specific recipes. Part of it is taste and texture, but part is also what the beans look like on the plate or in the bowl.

Catherine

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds/SEARCH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here