Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Grow Chick Peas ...

Posted by cyrus_gardner 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 0:36

The name says it all.
I would like to grow some chick peas, for fresh use.
I buy them here at Korean Market sometimes. They are very tasty fresh and expensive; about $3 /lb.Dry ones are inexpensive, about $1/lb or canned.

So lets grow our own chick peas.
My questions are: When to plant, Where to plant, How to care for them?
I know that they grow as bush from a single stem, and about a foot high.

Thanks
Cyrus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Grow Chick Peas ...

I have never been able to get a decnt crop from a chickpea ( I have only tried the kabuli type ( garbanzo bean) It is a long season cool weather crop that thrives in semi-arid conditions. I tried them in Virginia which had both too much water and too much heat. The growing instructions are to plant them at the last average frost date. Like most legumes don't amend with a nitrate souce. planting depth and density similar to dry bush beans. Note that virtually all chickpeas are imported. There is some grower activity in the high plains Canadian provinces and some ineterest in the high plains states like the Dakotas and Montana. Some are also grown in Mexico probably at high elevations. India, Pakistan and Turkey are major producers.

o

Thanks Farmerdilla.

The condition to grow chick peas are : long cool season, arid land, dry air , mountanous,..
I don't have those here but I will plant some today anyway.
Just for the heck of it.

o

I will plant some today anyway.

The words of a true gardener ; )

i think we all must say that at least once or twice a season.

o

Oh darn! Another veg I have to try! Well, I'll do some research anyway. My head gets so crowded with things I want to try. It never occurred to me chickpeas would like cool weather. Thanks.

o

Kathy, Your zone is probably a good place to grow chick peas. They like extened cool weather, not like snap peas that can do well with short MUCH COOLER weather.

Also, they need lots of sunshine, poor soil.

o

I wonder if somebody in the Midwest could grow them into the winter in a greenhouse or coldframe. Or as a winter crop in the South, under a carport like cover to keep rain off. Or as a winter crop in the Southwest.

Maybe not if daylight sensitive.

o

As far as I know chick peas are not "cool crops". But they don't like very hot humid, wet weather. That is why it is grown
in the middle east, Mexic, ... where it is dry, not too warm
with little rain fall, other than in the spring time.
Chich peas are "one shot" peas. They set pots all at within short time,
ripens all at the same time and then they are finishe.
They grow bushy, like medium size basils, about 18"tall.

o

I bought some dried garbanzo beans last fall with the intention of trying to grow them. So if I have room this summer, will give them a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here