Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean database?

Posted by phantom_white (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 0:39

Is there a database of beans on the web anywhere? I love Tatiana's Tomato site and it would be awesome if I could find a site like that for beans... it's a pain going back and forth between sites looking for info on the varieties that I have. I've looked online, but the sites I stumble across might have a handful of varieties- usually just descriptions but no pics or history.

Thanks
Abby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean database?

Cornell University's Vegetables for Gardeners has quite a bit of info on some varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

o

...also Heritage Harvest Seed has pics and info on quite a few heirloom beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Harvest Seed

o

Plantfiles has every bean known to me.

o

I had not seen the Cornell site. Thanks for the link. I checked Heritage last night and they've got a lot of beans I'd never heard of- those orange and black seeded ones really got my attention.
I've used PF before, but for some reason it started only letting me search 10 times a day then kicked me off.

Abby

o

Don't use the search function; Just select beans, then you can read either all beans or by alphabet. All 2836 of them

o

Purcell Mountain Farms has nice photos of many dried beans together with descriptions and recipes.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Purcell Mountain Farms

o

I like the prices at Purcell Mountain Farms but they sell beans for eating. They don't include simple important things like if the bean is Bush or Pole.

o

The Rancho Gordo Store is another which sells a number of "heirloom" beans for cooking. Not so many as Purcell Mountain but they may have something you would like at $5.50 per pound.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Rancho Gordo Store

o

Deleting duplicate post.

This post was edited by jimster on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:48

o

I enjoy looking at Rodger Winn's site for photos of the beans he grows. He sells limited seed, but also provides seed for the Sample Seed Shop.

http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=3725

They have photos of some beans and plants.

Sandhill Preservation also has an extended list but no photos.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/bean.html

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Rodger Winn's beans

o

Hi: I would like to add Russ Crow's website to this listing:

http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/index.html

Shirley

o

Clickable link to Russ Crow's Web Site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Russ Crow's Web Site

o

The Seeds of Diversity seed library has an extensive listing of beans, but the descriptions are kind of hit or miss... it depends upon whether SoDC members have written one. The good thing, though, is that it often lists commercial sources within Canada for heirloom beans.

I wish SSE would open up its Super Yearbook database to the public, minus the member info... it would be an invaluable resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Diversity seed library

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here