Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_forager

Price's Potato Bean

wild_forager
15 years ago

From what I read, Price's Potato Bean (Apios priceana) is extremely rare, and related to Apios Americana. Does anyone know if where I might buy or trade for this plant, or would that even be legal?

Comments (13)

• rockguy
    15 years ago

I don't know if it's legal, I wouldn't think so. It is listed as in danger of extinction. Maybe if you bought property where it grew wild, you could multiply it but I don't know about buying/selling. Are you wanting to grow it or what? Just curious.

• wild_forager
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I was hoping to grow it. But since it does appear to be endangered I guess that's not very likely to happen. Ah well.

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Why do I not see the other posts for this? Strange!

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Why not contact the Nature Conservancy and ask if you could try growing a few seeds? They have a little patch in NE Mississippi.

No one seems to care about protecting them...

See link below. There is contact info at the bottom.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Conservancy & Price's Potato Bean

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Sue,

Thank you for the link. I appreciate it. Honestly, for me to get them from MS I would have to have an interstate collections permit from the USFWS, in addition to a Collections permit from MS DNR. (lots of money and lots of time ....sometimes years to wait for permit) BUT, it never hurts to make a few more phone calls and see what happens!

In all honestly, I was lucky enough to find a private landowner who had collected seed and preserved them on their land. They have 3 growing there now, but won't allow it to be deemed a protected site since their home sits on this property. This particular person sent me the last of the seeds they had (which was not much mind you and dated 1998). I am excited to say I will be pushing forward and continuing my research this week!

I will contact the person you suggested though on Monday. I could use more seed to complete my research in a more time economical manner.

My intent is to find the key to unlocking the "threatened" status of this particular species and reintroduce it back into the wild. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!

On a side note, I finally ended my search for the home of Sadie Price (the person for whom this plant is named). I found the home and did not have my camera handy! I verified the previous history through the historical society and plan to make my way there again this week to take some pictures. Sounds silly I know, but when you have learned everything you can about a species and it has consumed nearly 5 years of your educational life.....a house seems like a thing of beauty and a treasure to find! LOL

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Sorry, Sue, I had brain fade for just a moment. LOL I sent Stacey an e-mail asking if she would send me seeds 5 - 10 for educational research. It occurred to me after I sent the last post that they have the necessary license, I would not need them, I believe. Might be they will need verification of my research first, but that would be just fine with me!

• happyday
    14 years ago

Agrigirl, if you get pictures of the house will you post them here? Good luck getting seeds! Would think the Conservancy would want to get them out and growing.

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Happyday,

Well I have a few seeds...and I underline and over emphasize the word FEW here to get me moving again in the direction I aim to go. But, like I said, a few more would be awesome in expediting my final reporting!

And, well of course I will post pics of the house here! Though, don't get too excited, it isn't quite what you would suspect. LOL None the less....it is history for all native plant lovers!

• wild_forager
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great news! Keep up the good work.

• agrigirl
    12 years ago

I am so excited! The first batch of seeds I received were too old and did not germinate. *Pout* But, I received 2009 collected seeds from a private landowner in TN back in December. I kept them cold until March when I was able to get back into the lab and plant them using sterile techniques.

I have had some interesting results from my study already. Puzzling in fact. I have had a result I was not prepared to have. LOL But, none the less, I do have germination on some of the specimens. They do take 1 - 3 months to germinate so I will just have to be patient and wait it out until mid June.......Lord be with me on the patience!

So...sorry for not having been on here much. School has kept me pretty busy and now with research back under way I have been making two trips a day to the university. In fact, I have to return tonight at midnight to shut down the grow lights for the night. Sounds like fun huh?

I just wanted to share some good news that I finally have viable seeds to work with and have germination and emergence already on some of the specimens! YAY!

Have a great night everyone!

• happyday
    12 years ago

Good to hear from you again Agrigirl! Best of luck, hope you get results!

• legumefinder
    12 years ago

Nice! I hope they do well for you. It'll probably take them a couple of years at least before they flower like the a. americana.

• agrigirl
    12 years ago

Well....my research is done! Yay! I thought I would post an update and a link to my thesis if you are ever bored and want to read about my work with A. priceana.

On a side note...I received 50 A americana tubers yesterday. Can't wait for it to quit raining so I can get outside and get these babies in the ground!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacterial Interactions of Inoculated Price's Potaot Bean (Apios priceana): A Biological Study

Sponsored