Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about fall hardiness of garden peas

Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 10:34

I did not get around to a fall planting of the Alderman peas I bought last year and definitely plan on a fall planting of them this year.

If I plant them to be harvested around October 20 and the first fall frost occurs on October 25, they'll continue producing until a hard frost, won't they? How hardy are they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about fall hardiness of garden peas

The vines are quite hardy, blooms and pods are not. The problem with fall peas is getting them started early enough. Growth really slows down with shortened daylight hours so they take a lot longer than spring grown. I don't have much luck with fall peas here. I do plant in November and overwinter for early spring peas, but I don't do Alderman/Tall Telephone.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 11:51

Thank you, farmerdilla! I'm glad I asked -- hate to do a lot of work that won't produce anything!

I guess my other choice is to grow them as a spring crop and move back the planting of other beans that I'd planned for that space until around June 1 or earlier if they run out of steam before then.

o

I heard a fellow Georgians gardener, whose fall peas got zapped this past winter. It has been an unsually cold and persisting winter around here.

I have planted some peas (late JAN). But I dont see anything coming up yet. I think it will be couple more weeks , untill night lows jump over freezing mark. Then my peas will make the move. hehe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here