Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hementia8

Best lima/butterean

hementia8
10 years ago

What is yours?
Over the years it has been Florida Speckled however last year it was Violet's Multi-Colored
In the SSE Year Book it is shown as a bush lima bean in error
It is definately a heavy climber
Charlie

Comments (10)

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Charlie, my taste buds change from week to week. according to what all else is on the menu. I found the Jackson wonder bush butter bean cooked with fresh corn is mighty good. Cut the corn off the cob, then scrape the cob and cook together using your own seasoning, about 3 parts butterbeans to 1 part corn and that is darn good. Naturually you have to have corn bread, fried fish, ice tea and all the rest of the trimmings.

Luther

• hementia8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luther sounds good however we go a little further and add okra,tomatoes and southern peas
    Thanks. now I have to dig around in the freezer
    Charlie

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Taste is such a subjective thing... probably nearly every lima is someone's favorite.

"King of the Garden" pole is one of my favorites, for its size, sweet flavor, and smooth texture. For me, it is best picked as a ripe shelly & served alone as a vegetable.

At one point, when I lived in San Diego, I had a white-seeded KOG mutation, which bred true. Unfortunately, my saved seed died in the process of moving & several years of hot storage... wish I had that one back to do over.

"Hopi Pole" has an entirely different flavor; not sweet, but rich. The colors are really interesting, and mixed with fresh sweet corn, it makes a wonderful succotash. The yield is huge too, but it (usually) needs a long season. Did surprisingly well here last year, though.

Good to hear confirmation about the misidentification of the "Violet's Multi-colored", Hementia. I too was surprised to see that listing. I'm really looking forward to trying it, but probably not this year, since I have two older limas in need of stock renewal.

• dlsm
    10 years ago

zeedman you must have a warehouse stocked full of different type beans. Each year you are having to grow some type of bean as the storage time has expired.

I grew some "Hopi Pole" this year for seed. Which one do you find as the best one? I plan on making your succotash to see if it is as good as mine.

King of the garden is on my list to grow this year as I did not grow it this past year. Only have so much gardening space. Some vegetables I grow each and every year.

Taste is different for us all. I get burnt out on some varieties and won't grow it for a couple years.

Luther

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

No warehouse, Luther, just a lot of boxes & cabinet drawers. I hope to take some photos of the seed collection shortly, if I do, I'll post the bean photos here.

Although my garden is nearly all OP, I grow two hybrid sweet corns at present: the red "Ruby Queen" and yellow "Miracle". "Ruby Queen" is less sweet, I use it to complement the darker colored limas. "Miracle" is sweeter, I use it with "Sieva" & KOG... and as part of edamame succotash.

"Taste is different for us all. I get burnt out on some varieties and won't grow it for a couple years."

Fortunately, I don't have that problem. There are only a few vegetable varieties that I grow every year, and none of them are beans... which is the blessing (and curse) of maintaining a large collection. At some point in my life, I may reduce the collection to just my favorites, so I can grow them more often...

Nah, that'll never happen... I've got a bean addiction to feed. ;-)

• hementia8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The large limas such as king of the garden,chrismas and calico do not produce well for me
    Luther,I agree that Jackson Wonder is one of the best tasting however my plants rotted last year due to our excessive rain fall
    I received a pole butterbean that looks like J .W. from SESE
    It is labled as a speckled mix that they received from a supplier that turned out to be a pole variety,not a bush as is J.W.
    I wonder if it could be a cross or mutation of J.W.
    I hope to give it a taste test come June or July
    Charlie

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Charlie, send me your mailing address and I will send you some pole beans that Harry crossed and they are darn good. Worth giving them a try and it is planting time. I have been planting all week, a few each day of different types. By the end of the month I will be out of space. Altho all my greens and cole space will be available. Zeedman is always out of space and so am I.

Luther

• hementia8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luther if you are refering to Black Jungle Butterean,I have that one Thanks guys
    I note that it was listed in the SSE Yearbook a couple of years
    I am open for trades I do not have
    Charlie

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Charlie, this is a cross with the BJBB and the Willow bean and it turns out a speckle bean. Don't think you have this one.

Luther

• hementia8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luther those look great
    You have mail
    Charlie

Sponsored