Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do "Jack in the beanstalk" beans exist?

Posted by SpicySeeds none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 12:54

I know they are not real but I was wondering what is the biggest bean plant out there that can produce huge lima beans, peas out there?

For example, is this even real!?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00770SSWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RFYS0Z0XNILU

I already know about yard long beans, etc.

Does anyone have big beans to share/trade? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do "Jack in the beanstalk" beans exist?

The ones pictured in the Amazon ad are most likely Sword beans Canavalia gladiata. Jack beans (Canavalia ensiformis) have smaller pods usually tho still quite large.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Bean

o

For purposes of this discussion, are we looking for an exceptionally tall vine or just a large pod and seed? In the story the vine, the "bean stalk", grew up to the sky as I recall. And it was study enough that Jack could climb it. And he needed an ax to chop it down.

Jim

o

I am looking something that can produce large pods and seeds. The vine doesn't have to reach the sky :) Although I am wondering what is the tallest bean plant out there too!

Thanks farmerdill for the info, very helpful!

o

There are several large-seeded beans I could recommend. Knowing your climate, Spicyseeds, would narrow the choices.

o

Zeedman, my zone is 6a (connecticut)

o

Spicyseeds, I have a few two year old Japanese sword bean seeds you can have. email me at hdodge86@sbcglobal.net if you are interested in them.
Harry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here