Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlsm_gw

Romano Pole Beans

dlsm
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Here is a picture of my pole beans. We have had a very warm January and February. Everything is all blossomed out here.

Happy gardening to all,

Luther

Comments (23)

• cindy_ga
    11 years ago

Wow Luther! Those look fabulous! I wish it was time to start the pole beans here... another month or so...

cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cindy. I have three different type planted. Helda, Musica and Supermarconi. Have you planted these type? I have planted the Helda and really enjoyed those. The other two I have never tasted them. So these will be a taste test to see which ones I like best.

Luther

• sweetquietplace
    11 years ago

I look forward to your report on the Supermarconi.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Looking good Luther, we're at least 2 months away from planting. Our winter has been very mild so far with just a dusting of snow twice. DH and I have been shovelling and wheeling gravel, topping up some of the paths and we filled in one of our garden pools.
    I'll have the beans out soon and finalize my list for this year. I'm going to try a few BJBB's outside as well as in the greenhouse, nothing ventured, nothing gained or so the saying goes. I've got my fingers crossed we get a decent spring for a change.

Annette

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

The Helda and Musica are white seeds. The Supermarconi are black seeds. I see in the 2013 Bean Patch Posting where some are planting the Supermarconi. Can anyone make a comparison of the three? Sweetquietplace I will let you know in March. Annette you do have a cool climate for the HBJBB. Hope you have a warm season for them.

Luther

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Luther, the few I planted in the greenhouse last year did just fine, I'm going to triple the amount in the greenhouse and then try a few outside in a very warm sheltered spot in front of the stucco, it might work, it might not. The trouble is we got a taste last year and now we're hooked. I'm willing to go the extra mile for this one, so tasty;).

Annette

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette, If you plant them inside then transplant them outside they might make it. Another hurdle is warm weather for the pods to fill out or they will just sit forever. I have encountered these problems.

Harry sent me some Doc Martin's Limas seed. I planted them a week ago and they are just now starting to come up. This is a first time growing them. Anxious to see how they turn out. I have found out the soil has to be warm before limas will germinate. I have a bad habit of pushing the envelope sometimes.

Luther

• cindy_ga
    11 years ago

Hey Luther,

Sorry I missed this. Yes, Helda is my all time favorite Romano! I had some trouble with them last year - not sure what went wonky. But you can't beat that flavor! Hope all is good with you and yours. We're catching winter in February - it was warm in Dec. and Jan. Go figure...

Cindy

• tatton95
    11 years ago

Hi Luther,

Your garden and trellis system look great! I am curious as to why you grow the Romano type pole beans rather than the more common pole beans like Blue Lake, Kentucky Wonder, Fortex, etc? Are they more productive, disease resistant, heat tolerant, or taste better? Do you know if Hilda Romano is the same as Helda Romano?

Thank you,

Brett

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy, we just had a cool front come thru this past weekend. My pole beans got burnt from a very light frost. Have my fingers crossed. We just got back from Naples and we picked a poor time to go away.

Brett, I like the taste of the Helda. I have planted several different varietys over the years and the Helda tickles my taste buds the best. Yes, I think Hilda and Helda are one and the same.

Luther

• cindy_ga
    11 years ago

Hi Luther and Brett,

Sorry about the frost Luther - nothing like those little surprises in early spring. Hope you'll see fresh growth again!

I am pretty sure they are the same. I could only find Helda from Jung (the original romano that I grew). Then didn't want to order just one variety so tried Hilda. I love those beans. And they were really good canned - just opened my first attempt at pressure canning green beans (from last summer) and they were very good!

Cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy, my bother has two large pressure cookers he uses for canning. He has a very large garden and cans enough green beans for all his kids and grandkids. He has the time and pressure down to a science when processing a batch of beans. I tasted some of his canned beans and they were the best green beans I have tasted. He lives on the west side of Macon at Lizella. He also likes the Romano beans.

We may get another cool spell the first weekend in March. I hope it don't get cool enough for a frost. I just planted Seiva, and HBJBB beans yesterday. This weather is 88 today. So I just don't know from day to day what tomorrow's weather will bring us. Harry said he has had so much rain he can't plant for at least another month. A year ago Texas almost dried up.

Luther

• cindy_ga
    11 years ago

Hi Luther,

I need to find out your brother's secret! (He's not too far from me!) I'm hoping to do more canning of beans this year. I mostly froze limas and butterbeans last year and we sure are loving those this winter.

We are putting up a greenhouse this year. The project starts today - I'm hoping that will help "weather" some of the weird winter temps this year. We didn't have a real frost until December, but February has been full of cold weather.

I hope Harry's garden dries out - we're pretty wet this year too. Let's hope it's dry during the day today...

Cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy, I was raised in rural Georgia and we didn't get electrical power until about 1948. So my mother had to plan her meals for a year in advance. So many quarts and pints of all the different vegetables. Those weren't the good ole days. That was something that was handed down from generation to family generation. The pantry had to support a large amount of canned goods.

Yes if I lived up your way I would have a greenhouse. You will be able to grow your vegetables and store your flowers for the winter months.

Thanks to the Daytona 500 we got a much needed rain today. This is the dry season here. So each year we can look forward to getting rain at race time.

Luther

• cindy_ga
    11 years ago

I can't imagine no electricity... I do like having a well-stocked pantry tho - I love the sense of being able to manage on our own for a few weeks if needed.

I am hoping to keep some summer veggies going in the greenhouse during winter. Maybe some cherry tomatoes or some of the more cold tolerant varieties. This winter I have been keeping a couple of pepper plants in pots in my garden shed. When it's above 45 - I take them out in the light for the day, put them back in at night. They are hanging in fairly well. When the weather warms up, I'll repot them, give them a bit of fertilizer and bring them outside for more sunshine. I hope to have some peppers to eat in May. :) We'll see how well that works.

Cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy, I know you will enjoy that greenhouse. If you have been growing vegetables in pots and transporting them back and forth this winter. I have been lucky enough to have had plenty of peppers and tomatoes from my garden.

We have had very warm weather December, January and half of February. Now it looks like we are going to get our cool winter weather in March. They say we may have a light frost this weekend. All my spring vegetable crop is up. So now I will have to use all my wifes old bed sheets plus purchase some frost cloth to cover everything.

My Daddy always grew hot peppers in a container when I was a kid in Georgia. He would sit it on the porch during the warm days and bring it inside at night. He loved eating hot pepers with his vegetables.

Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well here we go again. They say we may have a frost again tonight. Have everything covered. We are having our January weather here in March. Had to replant my pole beans. They were killed February 17th by a lite frost when I was out of town. Last year I planted them February 6th and made a good crop of pole beans.

Luther

• catherinet
    11 years ago

I've grown Romano poles for a couple years, and won't grow them again. They just seemed to spend the whole summer growing vines and not many beans. I'll just stick with my other poles (blue Lake and my fav.......Kentucky blue).
    I'll need to plant Roma bush, but dang I hate leaning over.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

Luther,
    Here are my pole beans this morning before I took the cover off. They all made it through this morning's frost.

• dlsm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Catherinet, I have to grow the pole beans in the early spring. After the weather warms up they won't produce in my area. I hear you on that bending over to pick beans.

Shuffles you are looking good. I also covered all my plants and they look good today.

Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I did a taste test on the three Romano Beans I planted. Cooked the three in different pots, seasoned the same. The Helda, SupperMarconi and Musica all tasted the same, which was very good. The SuperMaconi was a shorter bean than the Helda and Musica. I will grow the Helda and Musica in the future.

My Romano Beans

Luther

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Luther,
    I am with you. They taste very similar, and good. I haven't tried Musica. For me, Kwintus was more productive than Helda. I will grow Kwintus again.

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shuffles, I haven't tried the Kwintus and would like to try it. If it out produces the Helda it will break down the trellis. My neighbors love all the extra beans I give them.

Luther

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner