Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Zelma Zesta/Selma Zesta Pole Beans

I see there is thread on these beans but thought it better to start another.

Is anyone growing these? Does anyone have a photo of the seed? This is another bean that looks similar to my italian pole bean.

Better still does anyone know where I can buy these, would like to compare these to my italians.

I was given seed of my italians in 1965 from a neighbor who had grown them for many years, she in turn got them from someone else, the story goes these beans had been grown here on Vancouver Island since the early 1900's.

Annette

Comments (17)

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

Here are a few things I was able to find online.

Picture1
    Picture2
    A little history

Dean

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dean, I think I've seen these pictures in one of my searches trying to identify my beans, it's another bean that looks similar to mine. I would like to see a picture of the actual seed or better still acquire a few seeds to grow out for a better comparison.
    From what I've read a Mr. Metze developed this bean by careful selection from beans he was growing. I know my beans have been grown here since the early 1900's but the history is just pass-a-long hearsay. You know how stories passed along can take on a life of their own.

Annette

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

aftermidnight ; I have grown the Selma Zebra some 10 years or so ago. I was not impressed.Productive but too tough as a snap bean unless picked very early. Got them from Vermont Bean. Almost round , average size pod, with purple striping. Pods are not very "meaty" which I demand in a snap bean. Speckled dry beans. Have not encountered the Zelma Zesta as such.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's pictures of my italian, still quite tender at this stage.
    {{gwi:1019737}}I don't want to give them a name if they are already a named variety.

Annette

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

Not to usurp a thread, but Park Seed was still well known in the Selma area 20 years ago even though they had discontinued operations several years earlier. There was absolutely no mystery to me why the beans were called Selma Zebra.

They went out of commerce because they are more typical of commercial beans than of the kind of beans home growers prefer.

Over the years, Park sold many seed varieties that were collected from gardeners. I still remember the Candelabra okra that was selected to produce lots of side sprouts making the resulting plant look somewhat like a branched candlestick. The company is no longer the business that it once was.

DarJones

• roper2008
    14 years ago

I have some Zelma Zesta from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange if
    you would like to try some. The description said, Stringless pods, tasty
    at any stage, seeds remain fairly small inside pods for a long period of
    time, rattlesnake type, olive green speckled with purple.

Original Author
    14 years ago

roper, you've got mail.

Annette

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Roger, all going well I hope to grow a sample of Zelma Zesta this spring, albeit a small sampling it will be big enough for a taste test and the rest I'll save for seed. I'm looking forward to trying your family heirloom.

Annette

Original Author
    13 years ago

Just thought I'd mention I found this tidbit when looking for something else, "Selma Zebra" is being reintroduced after 30 years of absence by Thompson & Morgan UK, not available over here yet. Looks like another heirloom is making it's way back into circulation.
    I grew a sampling of Zelma Zesta last year but saved most for seed I found them to be quite tender and tasty when young, looking forward to having enough for a meal or two this year.

Annette

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Annette,
    I have both so I took a pic. I also put a couple other beans on there for good measure. The closest to it size wise is Uncle Steve's as you can see. And please ignore the sloppy writing I was trying to do a couple things at the same time, lol.

Remy

Original Author
    13 years ago

I have all of the above except Jeminez, In my search I have acquired a few others to compare, they look similar to mine in the green bean stage but the seeds are all slightly different, if not quite different to mine.
    Photos of Sema Zebra (a swiss variety?) in the green bean stage looks similar to mine but haven't found a photo of or have managed to get my hands on seed to compare.

In photos my italians look very much like an italian land race, local name 'Billo' especially the seed I saved from the half barrel where I had grown some of the almost solid colored beans that show up periodically, I have no idea what 'Billo' in the green bean stage looks like. It comes from the provence of Cuneo and is used as a dried bean, mine if my information is correct comes from the province of Udine, have no idea if it's any good as a dried bean we eat them as green beans. Sigh, I do ramble on at times LOL.

• Jason Wooten
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Rodger:

I know this post is old. I hope you are doing well. I love the Selma Zesta from Southern Seed Exchange. They are not carrying at this time. Do you know of another source for your seeds (assuming you still have them 13 years later)?

• rodger
    3 months ago

They may be out I have seed $6 for 100 seeds plus shipping email me at rodgersheirlooms@yahoo.com

• Jason Wooten
    3 months ago

Thank you. I emailed as requested. Look forward to doing business with you.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    3 months ago

Good to see you here @Rodger! Glad to see another of the old beanies is still still around. Best wishes to you & yours in 2024.

• rodger
    3 months ago

Same here. I had Lost interest when it became Houzz. Recently logged in. I am on several bean and tomatoes groups on Facebook.

Sponsored