Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Small Garden Prob: Planting beans over peas?

emcd124
11 years ago

I have a pretty small backyard and very limited gardening space, so I'm always trying to learn more about how to intercrop things, and how to do succession planting to maximize the space available. Here is the idea I've been thinking on, but I need advice from more seasoned legume growers:

I have a 4x2" box that is partly under the eaves from my garage, so the back half doesnt get great water. I'd like to plant a row of tall peas in the front half of the box and put up a big square trellis across the back of the box, so that the peas grow up twine from their position in the middle up to the trellis at the back end (growing along twine at slight diagonal). That way their roots get water but they grow up and out of the way.

Ideally then, if possible, I was wondering if I could plant my summer pole beans in the same spot and let them grow up over the peas. Because wouldnt the beans be growing about the same time the peas were dying out because of the heat?

I know that ideally you dont plant the same family (legume) in the same spot but I'm so short on space that usually I dont have much option. I try to rotate things so at least they dont spend more than two years in the same spot, but even that I cant always manage.

I'd appreciate advice from you more seasoned growers. And if its a disaster to try to succession plant beans over peas, what DO you succession plant after your spring peas?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals