Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

I might be wasting pea seed but I've gotta give it a try!

With this crazy winter, temps in the single digits, two weeks ago, snow for 3 days in a row last week. Very unusual for my area.

It is 76 degrees today and it's not predicted to be any freezing temps for at least a week. Day time temps 50+ and nights in the 40's. My soil is 40 degrees according to my thermometer.

I sprouted some green peas, starting Sunday night, shellies not snaps, and I'm going to plant them when I get home. They had roots about 1/4" long this morning, probably longer now.

I always have problems with the temps on my peas. Too cold to germinate and when they do it gets too hot!

Wish me luck! Nothing is better than fresh home grown peas!

Well maybe the first tomato of the year? :) Too bad that I can't have them both at the same time!

Comments (16)

• dlsm
    10 years ago

wertach, go for it. All you got to lose is a few seed.

When I was a kid that was the 1st vegetable we had to eat from the garden. Never will forget we had them to eat every day for a week.

Luther

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planted them when I got home Luther.

Since they were sprouted I had to get on my hands and knees planting them one at a time in two 100' rows.

Man, I was so sore and bruised up Thursday morning! I'm too old for this! ;)

But if the temps hold long enough it will be worth it!

I've been out checking for signs of them coming up 3 times today. 62 degrees today and it got to 69 yesterday.

I saw one pushing up the dirt! I'll probably go out there 3 or 4 more times before the day is done!

I am tired of this winter!

• dlsm
    10 years ago

If you have to buy some freeze cloth and some of those clamp on lamps with the red heat lamps to keep them alive, do what you have to do. It was in the blood and I couldn't help myself.

This next week will be planting time for several vegetables for me. Have several planters ready to go into the garden. Don't know if I can hold off the urge.

Luther

• mjheeg
    10 years ago

Traditionally my daughters and I are planting peas in the freezing rain here just north of Detroit. We just laugh about it.

Peas are tough.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of them are up! I've got a very good stand!

We are going to have some lows of high 20's with warm, 50+ days this week I think they will be fine. Like mjheeg said, peas are tough once they get going!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bad news..... We had a monsoon yesterday and last night, 4" of rain. The ground was already saturated. They are under water and I think they may not recover.

It would have been OK normally but the county road crew has been "rehabilitating" the drainage ditches on my road.

They dug mine and my next door neighbors deeper, but they haven't made it to the end of the street. I have never had any drainage problems. Everything backed up on me!

• dlsm
    10 years ago

wertach, you have hear the saying you can't win for loseing. Or if it wasn't for your bad luck you wouldn't have any at all.

Luther

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

I put snow peas in 2 weeks ago and they're starting to poke out now. I didn't presoak them. Never do. Some are uncovered, so I'll be walking the rows this weekend burying those. I usually plant them in mid February, but the snow kind of put a damper on that, literally. I seeded 600 row feet, and have enough to do another 200 feet, plus 200 feet of green peas if I get my tractor back and it's dry enough to till. It's time to plant beets, so it had better get back soon! :-)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congrats Chris!

This is my first time soaking them. I tried it because I have such low germination rates in the cold soil. Or maybe the squirrels are getting them? They have been digging up nuts in the garden from where I vacuumed up leaves, hickory nuts, and acorns and spread them.

Most of them have recovered from the drowning and are looking pretty good. More rain today but the road crew finished the ditches and everything is draining fine again.

I plowed and planted my beets yesterday. I hope that this rain doesn't get heavy and wash the seed out of the ground, so far it has been pretty gentle.

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Wertach, glad to hear that your peas survived that flood. Now that they have finished that drain ditch you are back in business.

Luther

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I direct sowed my peas more than two weeks ago. The have just emerged. We are having perfect PEA WEATHER around here; temps from just above freezing to 55f(avg). And it will be like this for EVER>hehe. Not a good tomato and pepper weather though.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

I'm afraid to go look at my snow peas after work today after getting down to 25 last night. But I have to know. Not worried, just concerned.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was 24 on my thermometer at 6 AM here and probably got colder before sunup.

I checked mine just a few minutes ago and they are fine Chris. I don't think you need to worry!

I did loose a few due to squirrels though, they dug them up looking for nuts.

I've got some pecans that I found in the freezer, been there for 5 years. I'm putting them out near the garden in a few minutes. Hopefully they will quit digging!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I started the few 'Carouby de Maussane' snow peas I received in trade this year. Started in the greenhouse, hardened off and now planted outside. They're looking good, daytime temps 40-50F, nights low 40's, a dip or two into the high 30's. The weather here goes from rainy to cloudy, with a few sunny periods mixed in. Not bad weather for peas.

Annette

• seysonn
    10 years ago

After nearly 4 weeks my snap peas are up about ONE inch. They are very slow so far. I think it will be a while until they establish a good root system.
    We shall see.

Question: What and How do you fertilize them with ?
    Thanks.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Mine look fine as well.

I dump horse manure on the plot after I'm done in the fall and till it in. Sometimes right after I'm done and sometimes like this year, right before I want to get started again. The area I planted my snow peas in was virgin soil a year ago. So it had some manure added then. it needed more this year. It did OK last summer, but not great. Deluge of rain didn't help.

I don't fertilize any more during the growing season with most things, especially row crops like this that I seed with a seeder. They always do fine for me.

I started making a cocktail a couple years ago in a 500 gallon tank for transplants. I'll make about 200 to 300 gallons at a time because it's heavy to pull around. I'll add whatever size bottle of fish emulsion (quart, I think), chelated iron (micronutrients needed per soil test, 8 or 10 ounces), a bottle of liquid NOG (natural organic growth, organic growth enhancer), and a handful of 20 mule team borax (for the boron) dissolved in water before adding. It's very weak compared to package instructions, but I believe it really works. In 2012, I put in pepper transplants and watered with this for several weeks. Then it got hot and I gave up on lots of things. Couple months later, I noticed red things in the weeds. Turned out my peppers grew larger than any I'd ever had and they were loaded with chiles that had dried on the bush. So I harvested them and was very happy. That year, I also had an overabundance of sweetpotatoes like I've never seen. Monsters! I water in the slips by hand after planting and used this concoction along with manure in the ground beforehand. Had to water 5 or 6 times I guess before the rain took over. But I blame this cocktail and great hot weather. Last summer was a washout. Didn't use my cocktail, so I still have it in the tank ready to stir up and get going again in a few weeks.