Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

I think my peas crossed....

cabrita
14 years ago

I know they did. They must have. I have been planting pole peas and did not bother to separate the snow peas from the sugar snaps. I did not bother separating the 2-3 varieties of snow peas either. I can look up the variety names later if this helps, most of them had 'Oregon' on their name.

That was last year. I only separated the growth habit, either 'pole' or 'bush'. I put the seeds all together otherwise (they are either yellow or green, so I can tell them apart) and again, I planted them together this year (pole with pole, bush with bush). Snow peas reach maturity earlier, so it works really well. I had not planted any shelling peas last year. So I have been harvesting snow peas regularly, no surprises, they are good too! I can also recognize the different types I had last year, they come true (uncrossed). Now for some reason, the sugar snaps seem to be missing in action. I can identify one or two plants that are giving sugar snaps, but the other ones seem to be giving me the shelling kind of peas. But I never planted shelling peas there! did I get a cross and now have shelling peas out of snow pea and sugar snap parents? Do any of you have experienced this? It is all good, the pea shellies are also delicious.

I also decided that this year we were going to do pole shelling peas, so I planted a couple of trellises of them, separated from the other pole peas. Those are still babies, they have not even flowered yet, but looking forward to them.

I suppose I better keep my pole peas separated from now on. I thought crosses were only about 1% so I was surprised. I better buy more seed for the pole sugar snaps too!

Comments (7)

• happyday
    14 years ago

Cabrita, maybe in your location there is a pollinator insect that especially liked your pea flowers?

It's generally said that legumes pollinate themselves before the flower opens, but if there is an insect specific to your area that worked the flowers afterwards, you could have more cross pollination than growers that don't have that insect. You might have to bag a few plants if you want to be able to save seed without spraying.

That said, when I saved pea seed, I also thought that the second generation was more like shell peas than sweet peas. Maybe I should try growing only one variety of snow or sugar snap peas and see if the second generation breeds true. Maybe we are buying hybrid seed and the second generation is reverting.

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right about pollinators happy. My neighbor on the back raises bees. The bees come to eat at my garden a lot, I don't mind a bit, we both benefit (and the bees!). In any case, i do not doubt that we have pollinators.

The strange thing to me is that the snow peas appear to all have come out true to their parents. This past weekend I examined their flowers and could not tell them apart (the snow pea flowers and the sugar snap flowers). One thing I noticed different is the maturity dates, the sugar snaps are latter. Their flowers look like a replica of one another, so why only one crossed? did the bees only go for the sweetest one? but no, they must have pollen from both in order to cross them. Hmmmm.......pea mystery.

The lesson to me is: interplant snow peas if you want, the seed will probably come true. However, if you want to save seeds from the sugar snaps, plant them separately! I saw that I still have some of the original seed, so I am planting them on their own trellis next winter. It is too late for us to plant peas now.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Throw a piece of nylon French tulle over the one from which you want to save seeds. Bees won't be able to get through it. This fabric, which can be found in any fabric store, comes in geen color as well.

• happyday
    14 years ago

Cabrita, lucky you to have a beekeeping neighbor!

• keen101 (5b, Northern, Colorado)
    7 years ago

I know this is a super old thread, but figured i'd comment anyway since i'm in a pea mood today. I highly doubt your peas crossed even with pollinators present. They simply are not attracted to pea flowers. Even if one flower happened to be bitten open by a solitary bee and cross pollinated with the other (1 in 1,000 chance maybe, even then it's iffy) then that still would not explain what you are seeing.

What i suspect is that you are seeing environmental influence. One of the fiber-less genes commonly used to breed snap peas is heat-influenced. I think what that means is that to get snap peas from those type you need high-heat and in cooler conditions you would get more peas that are more like shelling peas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pYKgt0VHo

The relevant slides start at 16:38.

• sea_kangaroo
    7 years ago

Just to add-- I grow a lot of peas, and while they don't seem to be bees' first choice, I haven seen carpenter/bumble bees seeking out the blooms deliberately. (I do grow a lot of old-fashioned tall types with purple flowers, so that might possibly be a bit more appealing to the bees.)

• keen101 (5b, Northern, Colorado)
    7 years ago

Thanks @sea_kangaroo, yeah, which is why i said it's possible for a solitary bee to do so. but it wouldn't affect her whole crop. Last year i had quite a few bean crosses happen and bean flowers are pretty similar to peas so either a solitary bee bit into a bunch of them or some hummingbirds were at work. Honey bees can do it to, but it's even more rare for them.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths