Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will a bag of granulated inoculant from last year work?

Posted by wild_forager 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 16:51

I still have a large bag of pea inoculant from last year. It's the dry, granulated form. Will it still be viable this year? I assume so but I want to be sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will a bag of granulated inoculant from last year work?

I found this out there:

"Seed inoculant packages are marked with an expiration date. Expired material may not be viable and should not be used. Hot storage conditions will reduce or destroy inoculant viability."

...and this:

Inoculants do require more care than the average chemical or seed treatment product because they contain live bacteria susceptible to environmental conditions during storage. Generally, the following recommendations apply:

* Keep inoculant as cool as possible, 40-77F.
* Do not expose to heat or direct sunlight.
* Do not store outside or unprotected from elements.
* Do not allow inoculant to freeze and thaw repeatedly.
* Do not allow product to get wet or expose product to extreme humidity.
* Do not use if package seal is broken.
* Do not use after labeled expiration date.
* Destroy unused product after labeled expiration date.
* Product is appropriate for use only on legume seed listed on product label.

You might want to check for an expiration date on the package, just to be sure it's still good.

o

Those who say you don't need to buy innoculant usually say it is because the bacteria is already present in the soil. Apparently once the bacteria gets into the soil, it survives from year to year.

If the above is true, it might be best to spread the entire fresh purchase of innoculant into the soil asap, rather than store it past its expiration date. The granules might not be the right environment for the bacteria to survive for long, let alone reproduce. Like a carton of eggs in the fridge, they aren't going to hatch in there, or stay fresh forever.

o

I'm using containers so I think it may have perished. Thanks for the info, I'll check the expiration date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here