Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agrigirl

Searching for Apios fortunei

agrigirl
14 years ago

This particular species of Apios was imported into the US in 1914 by the US Government. Where it ended up from there, I have yet to discover the answer. (And trust me, I have looked everywhere) I am searching for a specimen of A. fortunei. I know it is cultivated now in Japan and and still grows wild in many other parts of Asia and Southeast Asia. Outside of having a tuber or seeds imported (at such an expense unless I find a private person willing to ship them via mail)I would like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to come across this particular species?

Here is a link (I do apologize it is in Japanese and I only know how to say hello and goodbye in Japanese so I cannot translate the page) But....it has some nice pictures!

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hanano500/42457661.html

Keep your eyes to the ground and your heart in your garden!

Comments (11)

• wild_forager
    14 years ago

Let me know how the search goes. I've been curious about other apios plants for a while.

• agrigirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll let you know. I contacted some friends who have family in Japan and China. I am hoping maybe they can send some seeds via mail. Cross your fingers! LOL

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Have you tried looking for them in a Japanese or Oriental grocery store?

Sue

• agrigirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue,

Well now, to be honest, I have not checked our local Asian market. But I have checked with online Japanese food importers with no such luck. But, now that you have mentioned that, I will make my way to our Asian market tomorrow! Thanks!

I have also contacted the FSC in northern Japan (just sent them an e-mail on Thursday). I have not heard anything back just yet. One native plant center (of some sort, can't think of it off the top of my head will have to go back to my e-mails) of Japan e-mailed me and said they did not have any in their area but they would be most happy to go out in Autumn and collect for me if I am unable to get them elsewhere. So, keeping my options open. First things first.....check the Asian market and maybe they will be able to order some in if nothing else. Thanks again for the tip! I would have never thought to go to the market!

I also have a post on here under Japanese Gardening and there is a member who has friends in Japan with ties to the Nursery business that is trying to help as well.

• agrigirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I am about as excited as a high school girl heading out for her first date! LOL I think I may have succeeded in procuring a source for the Apios fortunei. However, not in seed form but an actual root source. But not for sure just yet. After various e-mails and phone calls over the past several weeks, it was the only option I believe to have. And, of course, I can only hope they don't want my right arm and left leg to get it to me. I will keep you in touch and let you know what pans out! Wish me luck (you may now commence to crossing your fingers, toes, arms or any other body part....except for the eyes, they might get stuck that way) :-)

• happyday
    14 years ago

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

• Freshwhitecurd_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I suppose this was a success since there was no update? I am sitiing in Japan right this moment staring at a mound of apios and wondering what the heck to do with them. Thought they were mini-potatoes...

• wild_forager
    12 years ago

Great! Let me know how it goes as well!

• hristo
    12 years ago

Apios fortunei and Apios priceana (NA species) are really hard to find. Apparently Apios americana is widely cultivated in S. Korea and probably Japan and will be much easier to get/buy it there than to find the native A. fortunei. Good luck with your search.

• chaman
    12 years ago

Are Apios americana and Apios fortunei same ones?

• hristo
    12 years ago

No. Americana and priceana are NA species, fortunei is Asian species.

Sponsored