Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Any other name for navy beans?

Posted by angela.t none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 18:28

I've not been to this forum before(usually over in the Tomato one), but I have a question for ya'll that is just STUMPING me!

I wanna grow navy beans this year, as I've heard they're the ones that are most commonly in baked beans. Issue? NO ONE seems to have "navy bean" seeds! Not my local nursery, not Burpees, and even Amazon MAYBE has one seller with them, but they had a weird "pea" name after it I believe, so I'm not ever sure that's legit.

So my question is, is there another more "official" name navy beans masquerade under, or different "navy bean" varieties(like tomatoes have black krim, opalka, etc.), or how should I find seeds for them for sale? Help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Any other name for navy beans?

Have you thought about buying a bag of navy beans in the grocery store? Save out the best looking beans to use as seed and cook the rest. I've done that before and usually they'll sprout for me.

o

Navy beans are pretty widely available. Usually from companies which sell older varieties of beans. http://www.localharvest.org/bean-seed-navy-bush-80-days-C12962
The official name for Navy beans is the Michigan Pea bean. As noted above, the grocery store version is a good source of seed. https://www.vermontbean.com/dp.asp?pID=01285&c=11&p=Navy+Pea+Dry+Bean A few places offer them as French Navy beans.

o

Thank you you two. I had read SweetQuietPlace's yesterday and was a little sketch on the idea, as I figured they're probably a hybrid seed(what isn't in food production these days), so maybe they wouldn't produce true to seed. But still, a decent enough idea I suppose had I not learned the real name.

Farmerdill, I wish I would have seen your post earlier! I stopped by my local nursery today to pick their brains about it, and my fav lady(a brillant Master Gardener), after much looking things up, found out, like you said Farmer, that they're also known as Michigan Pea beans. Didn't know about the French Navy bean though, so thanks for another name to find it under! All I'm sayin' is why not just call 'em what everyone knows 'em as: Navy bean! ;D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here