Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drloyd

Greasy Beans

drloyd
14 years ago

Greasy beans lack the fine hairs that other bean pods have. The result is that they are said to look oily.

I have never grown a greasy bean but would like to try one this year. The description of "Greasy Cutshort" sounds similar to "Tennessee Cutshort" and is one possibility. Anyone have any other ideas? - Dick

Comments (11)

• stevesd
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for that bit of info. I've been reading a lot on this forum and I couldn't figure out what in the world they were talking about when they mentioned greasy beans. I mean it didn't sound like anything I wanted to grow. Now it does. like bubble and squeak, or spotted dick, greasy beans just didn't sound good. thank you..steve

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Howdy!

Greasy Cutshort could be similar. Most cutshorts, however, actually have their seeds more closely packed in the pod than does Tennessee Cutshort. Take a gander at Sustainable Mountain Agriculture's greasy beans. They post pictures.

We really like Greasy beans, though they are not part of our own family's heritage. I grow Long Cut Old Timey Greasy, which is a mixture of greasy beans from near Asheville , NC. Some are "greasier" (read "shinier") than others, but every bean in that mixture is a good one.

Greasy beans, like so many Appalachian heirlooms, are tender podded with strings. They can be strung and enjoyed when a normal snap bean would be too tough. The ones I've tried are all good ALL PURPOSE beans. They are excellent snaps. They're easy to shell for shell beans, and they produce a LOT of dry seed.

I did discover, however, that Long Cut Old Timey Greasy is quite promiscuous. It crosses very easily with other beans. I actually had a "Tennessee Cutshort Greasy" crop up last summer. I set the seed aside and now can't find it. But I made a mental note to plant this mix far away from my other beans.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable Mnt Agriculture Beans

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Here's a link to a discussion in which some similar kinds of beans were discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beans for Oklahoma

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Here's a link to the absolute best discussion I've ever seen on Greasy beans and their origins.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Slippery Question

• drloyd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He Steve,

I know what you mean. I live a long way from the home areas of these beans and the term greasy sounded strange to me when I first heard it. - Dick.

• drloyd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi George,

I was hoping you would see this thread. Thank you for the links. I sometimes read over Bill Best's material and look at the pictures. One minor failing with his excellent site is that he does not list days to maturity. Your Tennessee Cutshort is about the latest I can grow and still save seed. I can grow beans that need a 2-3 week longer season if I start them in peat pots.

If the "Tennessee Greasy Cutshort" seed turns up, please let me know. That sounds like a winner. I did notice that the Tennessee Cutshort seeds were not as cut short as some.

I am tempted to make an SSE request for your Long Cut Old Timey Greasy but I would not be able to get it far enough away from the many other beans that I save seed from. Still, it would be fun to see if there could be a Goose Greasy, or a Fortex Greasy, or a Brita's Food Long Greasy! I can see Tennessee Cutshort Greasy as a favorite if it would stabilize.

Threads like this remind me of Gardenlad.

Question for you: When you prepare beans like Tennessee Cutshort that have strings, do you string them before you cook them or at the table? - Dick

• robert567
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Never even heard of "greasy beans" most of my life, but reading now there is obviously a long history. Not sure what to expect with what I read, what are the differences other than "cut short" version more normal? Does "Grit" mean anything different? White seeded version darker seeds? I assume most are good for fresh eating?

I've grown the white seeded "Doyce Chambers" and "Greasy Back", either are described as "cut short" or not, depending on whom you read. They were late (especially the "Greasy Back") in producing and quite short podded. Let the seeds fill up in the pods, since the pods were so small. Easy to pull strings on the short pods, kinda like a Sugar Snap Pea pod. Perfectly very fine to eat.

Quentin Frazier - thought I would give this a try, they say it is excellent and I like the name Quentin. Or maybe Cherokee Greasy ... would that be considered an "archetype"? Thought about "Pink Tip", but maybe that is just popular because of the name.

So any favorite available cultivars? What are the archetypes to expect? How long a pod is average? Is being a late producer normal, so I should assume that?

• Macmex
    5 years ago

Hi Noki33, I wish I could help you with more suggestions. I am not personally familiar with the varieties you named, though, I haven't met a bean from Sustainable Mountain Agriculture, which I haven't liked.

I'm not sure what you mean by archetype. I am pretty sure that there's a huge variety among the Appalachan beans. "All the Greasys I've encountered were excellent. Some cutshorts are good snaps and I've found some to be better for dry beans.

In recent decades I've only grown one greasy which had the really short pods you described. That was John Morgan Stumbo Greasy Cutshort. It was, like you describe, of excellent quality. I probably need to grow it out this year.

Where do you garden? What's your climate?

George

• robert567
    4 years ago

Finally getting some greasy beans. Always mid August each time I tried, and I started some early inside. Could the night temps be a factor for starting to produce? Still hot days. Length of daylight? I have no idea. I've gotten a few "Pink Tip" and they are very attractive pods, thick plump nice green pods of a decent size, definitely a winner so far. Waiting for "Lazy Daisy" to fill out. The most productive and earliest is one called "White Greasy", this one is pretty mediocre for "green beans", maybe it is meant mostly to dry the seeds, a shame.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Noki, where do you have your garden? I'm south of Seattle and love to grow fat pole beans. Last year my Lazy Wife Greasy Beans were tasty but the plants were shaded by Red Eyed Fall bean on other side of arched trellis and did not produce many. Hoping to grow them out smarter next year (Almost now, huh?)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services