Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Field Peas & Snaps

gardengimp
13 years ago

Will the field peas & snaps of my childhood please stand?

Granny's Shelling Circle - describes my childhood shelling and eating memories almost to a 't'. Except that the pea they describe is not my memory. Nor is a little brown pea, or Iron & Clay peas. Picture wise, the closest I've found is Pink-eye Purple Hull, except that I remember the hulls as green.

Of course, this was in the 60's, 70's; so who knows what games my memory is playing on me.

This would be my maternal family that hailed primarily from parts of North Florida with some wanderers in South Georgia.

What I remember is plateful of field peas that were not all identically colored; might have had a faint eye; but not predominate; green hulls; and more flavor than a typical black-eye pea.

Any ideas what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Granny's Shelling Circle - A Field Day with Field Peas

Comments (7)

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

Possibly a cream pea.They are cream colored pea without a pronouced eye. Pinkeyes have definite eyes. Ther are many varieties. This is Zipper, which I consider the best of the type.

{{gwi:89740}}

• shebear
    13 years ago

I remember granny's shelling circle. All those wonderful black-eyed peas and butter beans....both fresh and dry. We always did it on the back porch in the hot afternoon when you didn't want to go out. The boys (grandpa and others) dozed under the ceiling fans until it was safe to venture out without getting heatstroke. Chickens rolled in the dirt dusting themselves, the cats and dogs were under the porch, and the cattle chewed their cud under the big live oaks. Summer in gulf coast Texas is hot and not to be fooled with during the middle of the day. Even the windmill stopped work as though to admit defeat to the sun. An occasional cackle of a hen, or the buzz of a fly could be heard over the drone of the rocking chairs on linoleum because we all know that rocking and shelling go together.

Thanks for the memories....sorry I got carried away.

• KCLulamae
    13 years ago

shebear,

Beautifully put! You must be a writer. -kc

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that was beautifully put. Still hunting my childhood memory of the perfect summer pea dish. I found this picture that really is almost exact to my memory, it is of a Red Ripper. Except that I don't remember it being a minimal producer. Though I didn't really have anything to compare it to. I do remember the pods being all different sizes, and it was the little pods that made the snaps. I don't recall seeing them dry so don't know what dry color they were.

* can't link to the picture, oops ....

Would Red Ripper have been common in S. Georgia/N. Florida and been pick-able Late July Early August?

TIA,

~dianne

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

Red Ripper is a long season, late maturing field pea that dates back to the civil war. A long day vining pea that the oldtimers often use for stock feed. Small red pea, pods also are reddish at green shell stage. Never grew them, but have talked to a few oldtimers who did. None of them have much good to say about it for an eating pea.

• bamagrit
    13 years ago

I've grown Red Ripper the last two years and really like the taste of'em. I gave some seed to a friend last year and he's planning on planting more this year. He liked'em. If you like a field pea that makes a dark soup give'em a try.

• martha_marshall_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I've always loved all kinds of field peas, and now our favorites in the garden are zipper peas. They produce like crazy, with big fat peas inside long pods. When the peas are full, they crowd together and get an irregular shape just like crowder peas. This is our second year to grow them, and I want twice a many next year!

I googled "field peas with snaps" and landed on this thread. I had always wondered why there were sometimes snaps in with the peas, and now I think I know the answer. At the end of the season (early fall) the peas stop maturing in the pods, so the last picking has a lot of snaps to throw in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zipper Peas